Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

08 Band Slipped, Sch. consult for Surg - what's next

Hi everyone! I had my band place in Dec 08. I was a very bad patient after loosing most of my weight. I'm now climbing back up with a 40lb gain & have a slipped band. Had a fluoro done yesterday and consult for surgery next Tuesday - any thoughts on what's next? Do they take out the old, replace with new band, go for Sleeve...has anyone had this issue and surgery all in one shot, i.e., take out old, replace band or do sleeve. I'm not keen on surgery and feeling like a big failure. Pointer, experiences will be greatly appreciated! Many thanks, Karen

Hi everyone! I had my band place in Dec 08. I was a very bad patient after loosing most of my weight. I'm now climbing back up with a 40lb gain & have a slipped band. Had a fluoro done yesterday and consult for surgery next Tuesday - any thoughts on what's next? Do they take out the old, replace with new band, go for Sleeve...has anyone had this issue and surgery all in one shot, i.e., take out old, replace band or do sleeve. I'm not keen on surgery and feeling like a big failure. Pointer, experiences will be greatly appreciated! Many thanks, Karen

Well if your band has slipped, you need to figure out WHY it slipped. If it slipped from non-compliance and keeping it too tight and vomiting and purging, then it may not be a good idea to get a band replacement.

The Sleeve has been a good viable for option for those who've had band slippage, some surgeons wait for the stomach to heal before revising to the Sleeve and some surgeons will do it all in one surgery, I guess depending on the damage and adhesion's left from your band.

Also, some people have had slipped bands, learned their lessons and have gotten rebanded, and have been complication free and successful, but from what I've read getting rebanded comes with more risk and everyone is not a candidate for rebanding depending on the damage the band may have caused.

Edited to add: I got rebanded last year, and had the old band removed hiatal hernia repaired and new AP band placed, however I did not have band slippage, so your case may be a bit different, I am very happy that I decided to get a new band, it's working great so far.

Talk it over with your surgeon, they know more about your medical history and what may be best for you.

Good luck!

My band slipped and I had to have surgery again. My surgeon also offered plication initially, which I didn't go for. Second time around I wanted plication also. However, until seeing the condition of things on the inside, my surgoen couldn't say what I was going to end up with out of three options: Band restitched, band removed, or band restitched and plication added. I was fortunate that he was able to restitch the band and add plication.

Although, to be perfectly honest, I can't tell that the plication has helped me with any additional weight loss, but it does greatly reduce the possibility of future slips.

I've been learning a lot lately and one thing I learned is that scar tissue can definitely play a factor in your revision. While someone might say their surgery is the best in the world they may be coming from a place where they had a 'virgin' stomach so to speak. Remember, the band is removable, NOT REVERSIBLE, like some people say it is. There will be scar tissue so whatever you decide to do that may complicate things. I just want to point that out so that when you're doing your research you're not comparing yourself to someone that is starting this journey from scratch.

That being said, it sucks your band slipped. I do hope the best for you. Good luck!

thanks Guy! would someone share what pliation is?