Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

epigastric discomfort and bowel movements

Hi I am 6 days post op and concerned about 2 things. I am still using pain pills because of the discomfort that I feel from the band. I constantly feel gas pressure on the band which makes it very uncomfortable. I take anatacids too which dont seem to help. ! Also after 4 days I had no bowel movement so took prune juice and milk of mag. Considering I'm on a liquid diet the bowels should just be moving liquid right?. I'm just worried about impaction from no bowel movement for 4 days. I also have to take Milk of mag daily now.

Unfortunately, Constipation is rather common after surgery. I've heard of people going 7-10 before they finally have a BM. It can get very uncomfortable but it's rare to be worrisome or dangerous. I find taking a stool softner daily until I "go" to be very helpful. Plus, you don't want to have to strain so soon after abdominal surgery. If you do decided to do this, just be sure it's a stool softner not a laxative. laxatives can cause really bad cramping which you don't need right now.

As far as the pressure, the reason antacids aren't working is because it's not in your digestive system. They pump air into your abdominal cavity during surgery. The best way to get rid of is walking to help your body reabsorb it faster. Some people also find heating pads help soothe the discomfort.

Hang in there, you should be turning a corner and feeling much better very soon :)

Thanks that actually makes me feel much better to know.. I only really started walking yesterday and maybe over did it a little. I came back home and crashed for 2 hours. Was so drained. I do keep my fluids up and make sure I'm taking in enough Protein thru my shakes. So paranoid losing my hair. So I heard the protein is essential in aiding against Hair loss.< /p>

Cam- The pain pills can contribute to the Constipation problem. I know they do that to me, see if you can try switching to Tylenol instead even for one or two doses.

Warm Decaf tea helps move things along, as well as a heating pad to help move that gas out.

Go slow with the walking but keep doing it. Short slow walks are better then longer marathon walks right now.

Protein is essential for hair and nail growth so stick with your shakes but also get some Water in to help with the constipation. Try the warm decaf tea.

I also take a Biotin 5000mcg supplement every day for hair and nails. They have them in dissoluble pills that pretty much just melt in your mouth.

Good luck and feel better!!

Thanks that actually makes me feel much better to know.. I only really started walking yesterday and maybe over did it a little. I came back home and crashed for 2 hours. Was so drained. I do keep my fluids up and make sure I'm taking in enough Protein thru my shakes. So paranoid losing my hair. So I heard the Protein is essential in aiding against Hair loss.< /p>

It's true, protein intake helps prevent hairloss.

Unfortunately, some people (like me) lose hair after being under general anesthesia. It's a very common side effect due to the body's non-essential functions being put into hibernation during surgery as well as all the drugs pumped into you.

If you do have surgery related hair loss in the coming months, just remember it's temporary and your hair will come back to normal eventually.

Thank you lisa appreciate the advise

I didn't notice hair loss until about the 4th month after surgery. I saw it a lot for about two weeks, then it started to subside. Though I do go through a noticeable "shedding" about once a year, this time, I assume it was from the surgery.

Like Mis, I also take a stool softener every day. For me, Constipation isn't a new post-op issue; been dealing with it for a long time. But since surgery, it's worse But it's much better when I drink LOTS of Water. When I don't, things don't move, and when it does, it's like the Rock of Gibraltar :P

Thank you lisa appreciate the advise

I appreciate everyones input. I lov e this site. I can see its gonna be great tool to help get thru this weight loss journey. I do need to drink more Water . I've noticed.to that when I start to feel weak if I drink a little.diluted friut juice that gives me a little energy boost. 6 days post op and I never feel hungry on the liquid diet. But am looking forward tommrow to slurpping up some cream Soup. Lol

Hope you feel better today! I have not had this surgery yet but from other surgeries I know that Constipation can be a real problem. For me pain medication just makes all that so much worse. Best wishes for a good day of healing -- there's always that turnaround point when things suddenly are so much better.

Im 2 weeks post-op and Im having issues as well with my bowel movements. I had one since the post op and that was last week after drinking a boost. For the past two days I have been feeling uncomfortable and need a bowel movement but nothing is happening. I know I will be comfortable after a bowel movement but just dont know what to do to make that happen. Any suggestions??

Phillips make a milk of magnesium that is cramp free and follow it with one serving of prune juice. Worked for me

Im 2 weeks post-op and Im having issues as well with my bowel movements. I had one since the post op and that was last week after drinking a boost. For the past two days I have been feeling uncomfortable and need a bowel movement but nothing is happening. I know I will be comfortable after a bowel movement but just dont know what to do to make that happen. Any suggestions??

Try Smooth Move tea! I just had surgery and was in the same boat, but a friend gave me a box of Smooth Move and voila!

You drink a cup before bed.

~hiddn

Hi I am 6 days post op and concerned about 2 things. I am still using pain pills because of the discomfort that I feel from the band. I constantly feel gas pressure on the band which makes it very uncomfortable. I take anatacids too which dont seem to help. ! Also after 4 days I had no bowel movement so took prune juice and milk of mag. Considering I'm on a liquid diet the bowels should just be moving liquid right?. I'm just worried about impaction from no bowel movement for 4 days. I also have to take Milk of mag daily now.

Smooth Move tea worked for me. You drink a cup before bed and in the morning all is well.

Once you're eating soft foods, you can make a smoothie (if you have a good blender like a Ninja) and add baby spinach or kale to give you some digestable roughage.

Today I made a smoothie with watered down apple juice, 1/2 frozen banana, 1/2 avocado, a big handful of baby spinach, and a scoop of Protein Powder. Delicious, filling, and healthy!

Be creative and enjoy the weight coming off. Your Constipation will go away and the pain from the surgery will ease up and disipate.

Also, my surgeon told me to walk 5 times a day. So I set my timer for every 2 hours. I walk about 10 minutes each time. But even if you just walk 5 minutes, doing so every 2 hours is very good for you.

I hope this is helpful!

~hiddn

Smooth Move tea worked for me. You drink a cup before bed and in the morning all is well.

Once you're eating soft foods, you can make a smoothie (if you have a good blender like a Ninja) and add baby spinach or kale to give you some digestable roughage.

Today I made a smoothie with watered down apple juice, 1/2 frozen banana, 1/2 avocado, a big handful of baby spinach, and a scoop of Protein powder. Delicious, filling, and healthy!

Be creative and enjoy the weight coming off. Your Constipation will go away and the pain from the surgery will ease up and disipate.

Also, my surgeon told me to walk 5 times a day. So I set my timer for every 2 hours. I walk about 10 minutes each time. But even if you just walk 5 minutes, doing so every 2 hours is very good for you.

I hope this is helpful!

~hiddn

This is a PS to what I just wrote:

The smoothie will be too much food for you to have at once!!!!!! Just have a little bit at a time.

I had my lap band removed, so I do not have restriction like you do. Try 1/4 cup and see how it feels :)

~hiddn