Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Am Really Ticked At Dr. Speigel

I have wanted to have the Lap Band for 3 years. However the place where I worked was self insured and did not cover the procedure. So when I got this new job, I was relly happy to find out that they did cover it.

I went to Dr. SPeigle's office on Saturday for a consultation, they had a sign that said he was no longer taking UHC for fills, nothing about the surgery. Well they called me yesterday and said that I was approved, however since he was no longer in net work I would have to pay him $4500.00 (that may as well have been the $15,000.00 cash price).

When I got home I immediatly came here to ask for help, however I found a message from back in March, about asking UHC about a gap exception. They said they would pay his bills at in-network prices. Well when I called his office today to talk about it, I was told that he was not taking any UHC in network coverage. That was when I got :) mad. How can a doctor refuse a patient when they have insurance coverage.

Can anyone let me know if there are any doctors in Houston that is taking the gap exception from UHC?

I really want to have this procedure, so any :help: would appreciated :kiss2:

Also does anyone know the doctors are getting out of UHC, they are one of the largest health care providers?

Dr. Collier, Dr. Wilkenfield, Dr. Spivak, and Dr St. Laurent all use the same SurgiCenter as Dr. Speigel...did you ask if any of them take UHC. Dr. Collier was my Doctor and I just love him to death!

This has been a pretty common complaint lately. I suspect you will get a lot of responses on this one. Keep searching the old threads about UHC and houston doctors. I will look to, and if i find it, i will bump for you.

i was selfpay, and know NOTHING at all about insurance coverages.

good luck, and i hope it works out for you!

Mini Me

Thanks, I did look in the old threads and got the name of Dr. Turnquest, called his office and he is still in-network for UHC. Got an appointment set to see him next Thursday. I really wanted to have the procedure on the Friday of Memorial day weekend, but as ling as I can get it done soon I will be real happy.

Have a blessed day ! ! !

Stupid question, but why are you ticket at the doctor? They had the sign up when you got there, so it doesn't sound like you received any contradictory information...?

Well I can be pissed because I started with Dr. Spiegel before the change. I was approved, surgery date set, and then the phone call. Not only did he want $4,500, but the surgicenter wanted $2,900. My out of network out of pocket maximum is $6,000. Dr. Spiegel's office offered me no alternatives. I called UHC, but they would not do an exception.

UHC gave me names of doctors I had never heard of as In Network. Rather than take that chance I called Dr. Matthew St. Laurent as I heard good things about him. His office was so very helpful and before I set foot in the door we agreed on a total price, including the surgicenter. I am paying $3,000 to him and $300 deductible. They are writing off everything else and taking what UHC gives them. When I went in to their office it was such a world of difference from Spiegel's setup. I finally felt comfortable in what I was doing. I didn't feel like a fat cow in a mass of people. I felt like a human being.

Now UHC told me it would be just a few days to switch doctors. WRONG. It goes back through the approval process and they are allowed 15 days to make the change. I hopefully can make my June 13th date, but I don't think you'll make Memorial day weekend. Just my experience and maybe you will have better luck than me. UHC says its a simple change, but then they hide behind the red tape.

Sorry to vent here, but Dr. Spiegel's setup just gets me going. They are all trying to go after the money and make money at the expense of human misery. Climbing off my soap box now. :second:

I'm ticked because yes I saw the sign about the fille, but when I asked about the procedure, the lady behind the glass told me that I would find out after they made the call to the insurance company. I seems that they already knew that they would not be accepted by UCH, but wanted to collect my $35.00 for 45 mile trip I made on a Saturday mornning. I mean when I called and set up the appointment, they took my insurance information at that time, they should have told me that they were no longer in network at that time. It would have spared me a lot of gas money

I feel the same way. It seems like Dr. Speigel is making plenty of money. His billboards are all over town and when you Google lap band in Houston, his is the first name to pop up. He must me making plenty of money. To me it just speaks of greed on his part, and not wanting to help the people that honestly need what he can do..

I had a really nasty message I wanted to post, but realized that it not hurt him, and make me look bad ! !

But I am going to see Dr, Turnquest next Thursday and hopefully have the procedure not long after that

Dr Spiegal did my lap band April 25. I have UHC. I was approved within 10 days. I have a friend who worked there at time !!! She filled me in with alot of information about there screwball setup.. She doesnt work there anymore. I think I just made it under the wire!!!but what I know now I wish I would ve found a more compassionate office!!!!! I know he is probably the most experienced Lap Band DR..but to this day I have really only seen him 2 minutes total!!!

Kim-

Pearland tx

banded April 25 2006

lost 15 lbs

YellowRose,

I hope all is well for you. Is everything approved with the new surgeon yet? I know how important this is for you. I waited 2 years trying to decide if this was right for me and how in the world could i get it done. Once i decided i wanted to do it, time stood still.

Rest assured that if you are committed to having this done, it will happen. I am losing very slowly, but definitly NOT gaining. This is the best thing I have ever done. All the trouble will be worthwhile once you are banded.

Speaking of Dr. spiegel, what happened to his nurse, the one on the billboards??? Is she still there?