Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When did you notice hair loss?

That's why I find it hard to tell - I have the little sticky up regrowth all over my head all the time anyway - I had to have my basically straight hair straightened with that new bio ionic technique to tame all those little hairs, my hair was so frizzy. But it was like that before banding.

I had seen threads about hair falling out and never could contribute much because I hadn't experienced it. So here I am at just midway between 4 and 5 months out and I'm shedding like crazy. There is hair in the shower, on the bathroom floor, on the counters, in the sink, in the hairbrushes, always on my shirts and my arms. It's awful. I haven't seen a real difference in the way my hair looks, but dang... this is more than a little disturbing!

Susan, me too, its ALL over the house as well as me, its gross and scary. My little girl loves to go behind me after I wash my hair and pull them out...she thinks it fun that so much comes out but at the same time she goes ewwwwwww. The amount I lost and its not slowing down is really depressing me. I get my Protein, Vitamins and my next step is Omega3's. I remember being on them years ago and my hair growing like cousin It. I have to order the kids chewables b/c the ones in the stores are like horse pills.< /p>

Good luck everyone.

I am shedding my hair too. I asked the dietician if she had any idea why and I was told usually in the early stages we lack Protein. She had me count my protein levels and I was short. Need to be at 55 or 60 grms per day. I started a jounal too. Gosh, has that made a difference at getting in the protein and watching what I am eating. I am celebrating today. I went over the 25 lb mark. Actually 26 lbs. Banded on 1/19/06 but had an infection and didn't get to have a fill till 4/5/06. I am on a roooooolllllll!!!!

I'm 3 1/2 months post-op with no hair loss...Hairagain hit the nail on the head with protien intake, too often we think only of our calorie intake a balanced diet is more important than ever for us.

So I've been thinking about this problem and I wanted to ask. Those of you who are losing their hair... do you have thyroid problems? Are you taking meds for it?

The reason I ask is, I'm on synthroid. Have been for years now. If I ever slack off and forget to take the synthroid for a period of time, my hair starts to fall out. So, I was wondering if perhaps our thyroid conditions are changing with our weight loss, which causes the Hair loss. Since I was banded, I have been eating between 70 and 100 grams of Protein per day (meat and dairy products, no suppliments) and I've been taking Multivitamins, Calcium, Vitamins E and C, every day. My weight loss has been fast, but not drastic. So I'm thinking about having my thyroid levels tested to see if things have changed. *shrugs* Just a thought.

I don't have thyroid problems. I am a hairdresser sho specilaizes in Hair loss issues. I am told by the people at the organization for hair loss experts, it is a situation where our bodies are in a shock faze and needs to adjust to our new body composition. It is very common and I have experienced it before. (fen-fen) It grows back and usually is not a problem as long as nutrition is good. Do not get caught up in any things to make hair grow etc. Use a good Shampoo that removes toxicity from the scalp (like Nioxin) and don't need to use the treatment. Hair grows in stages or phases an as the next growth cycle starts the hair will be replaced by baby hair. Go see a stylist and get help with styling tecniques and amybe treat yourself to a little hair extension. Remember this is not permanent and you do NOT have androgenetic hair loss. That is the kind men get. (women too but less of us) it is hormone related. Hang in there everyone, this too shall pass.

Darlene