Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hOW LONG DOES IT TAKE?

I Was Banded 11 Days Ago And Have Been In Pain On And Off Ever Since With Terrible Stomach Ache And Breast Pain From My Armpit Down The Side Of My Left Breast. Is There Anyone Else Who Hasn't Found This A Breeze?

Hi Tidge,

I was banded 4/27/06.. I'm a little over two weeks post-op and I had the same pain. It was mostly gas... You need to get some Gas-X strips or some Mylanta, that may help. Also, Make sure you are not drinking too fast. That can cause those pains also. Hang in there... the worst is almost over... Believe me, it gets better.....

Hey Tidge,

I'm over two months out and that pain has just gone away recently. It was bad for the first month. I was very swollen and my stomach yelled more than the next person I guess.

But I will get that pain even now if I eat or drink too fast and two much.

Counting 30 seconds to a minute between bites/sips helped as did antacids.

Lovechunks - Let Us Know How You Are.

Leenerbups - You Always Take The Time To Reply And Support -many Thanks. I'll Hang On In There!

hey leenerbups im a lactose intolerant vegetarian too -- what kind of food did you eat during your mushie stage? im worried about preop food conflicts

Well, after almost a week of misery, I went to the doc and I am glad I did. He checked my band and pulled some Fluid out of it. Evidently, when they insert the port, they have to fill it with Fluid and then remove the fluid to make sure there is no AIR in the band.

Meanwhile, I am so sore and swollen in my stoma that I can barely get anything down. He is giving me 24 hours to see if I am better; otherwise I will go into the hospital on an I.V. until the swelling goes down.

I knew there had to be something wrong because I usually bounce back very fast from any type of surgery.

Tidge, your welcome, check this thread out, maybe something in it will be of help:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=16524

Hi Chabutter! After the liquid phase, I lived on veggie Soups, mashed potatoes, refried Beans and Protein drinks. I used a new lactose free milk called Skim Plus, because it has twice the protien.

Check this thread out:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=14783

Wow - thanks for the link leenerbups - I'm not alone!!!

I was going to stay with fluids for another 2 weeks but it seems that you were a bit better with mushies - perhaps I'll pluck up the courage next week - is mash and gravy a good start do you think?

How are you doing now?

I have been taking mega-hot baths to help with the cramps in my stomach and it does help.

What's your news?

Tidge

Tidge- I would recommend sticking to vegetarian refried Beans and scrambled eggs (if you're an octo-vegetarian like my fiance) because they have much more Protein in them and will keep you fuller longer and give you more energy.

Mashed potatoes are carbs. While good carbs are great for your body...a lot of people get frustrated gaining weight on mushies before their first fill and it's generally because of less healthy food choices.

And yes, those pains you're having should go away soon...try to walk A LOT. That's really the only thing that helped me. I was walking 2-3 miles a day after the first week post-op and the pains went away at the end of that 2nd week.

Just a thought! Best of luck with your recovery everyone!

No Tidge, your not alone! :)

Just take it slow. I was on liquids for an extra week than other people and mushies for an extra TWO WEEKS than everyone else. We just are more swollen than the next person.

Also, time your bites. Put the fork down 30-60 seconds and make those bites small. It will help with the pain and speed the swelling to go down.

Good news is you may be like me and not need a fill for a while because of being naturally tight.

Tidge: I am doing great! Once I get that Fluid out, I did a 180. I wish I had called my doc sooner and not let myself suffer so long. Hope you are better.