Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this normal pre-op?

So I finally got things set up with the surgeon.

I have my first pre-op appointment on the 10th.

Tomorrow I have to call and set up a bunch of other appointments and I was curious if this was normal...

First I have to set up an apt. with my general practitioner. I have to see her once a month for 6 months... and I can not miss a month in the calendar year or I have to start over. This starts next month.

Starting on the 1st I have to adhere to a 1500 calorie a day diet and stick to it for that period of time.

I also have to make an appointment with the dietician, the exercise therapist, and a psychologist. I have to see the dietician 4 times before surgery, the psychologist 2x before surgery and the exercise therapist at least 2x before surgery. I also have to attend a support group.

Then 2 weeks leading up to the surgery I have to adhere to a very specific diet... mostly to shrink my liver so they don't hit my liver during the operation. I have to eat the foods sold at the hospital... no Protein Shakes as I thought. They tell me to stay away from carbonated drinks and from drinking through a straw. (Of course this means no soda, no beer, etc.) And when I do drink, It has to be 1/2 hour before eating, nothing while eating, and nothing until a 1/2 hour after eating.

So if I have the surgery... it will end up being in March or April.

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone who has been through pre-op? I have seen a lot of people on special diets for 2 weeks prior to surgery (mostly Protein shakes)... but haven't heard anyone state they needed to be on a 6 month 1500 calorie diet.

Tomorrow I have to call and set up a bunch of other appointments and I was curious if this was normal...

First I have to set up an apt. with my general practitioner. I have to see her once a month for 6 months... and I can not miss a month in the calendar year or I have to start over. This starts next month.

Starting on the 1st I have to adhere to a 1500 calorie a day diet and stick to it for that period of time.

I also have to make an appointment with the dietician' date=' the exercise therapist, and a psychologist. I have to see the dietician 4 times before surgery, the psychologist 2x before surgery and the exercise therapist at least 2x before surgery. I also have to attend a support group.

Then 2 weeks leading up to the surgery I have to adhere to a very specific diet... mostly to shrink my liver so they don't hit my liver during the operation. I have to eat the foods sold at the hospital... no Protein shakes as I thought. They tell me to stay away from carbonated drinks and from drinking through a straw. (Of course this means no soda, no beer, etc.) And when I do drink, It has to be 1/2 hour before eating, nothing while eating, and nothing until a 1/2 hour after eating.

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone who has been through pre-op? I have seen a lot of people on special diets for 2 weeks prior to surgery (mostly Protein shakes)... but haven't heard anyone state they needed to be on a 6 month 1500 calorie diet.[/quote']

Depends on your doctor and insurance. I had to alot of what you have to do.

I had 6 months of diet classes(couldn't miss one), 2 visits with psychologist, 3 visits with physical therapist, 1 diet class with surgeon and 1 nutrition class with surgeon.

No pre-op diet though, just soft foods 24 hours prior and nothing after midnight the day before surgery. Things are different with each surgeon and insurance group.

Yep....small variations here and there but this is basically the jist of it. It's a new life and this is the time where you see if you really are committed to making a huge change. I actually found it went by pretty fast and am now 6 months banded and incredibly happy with my results as I'm sure you will be too =)

I have blue cross/blue shield. That must make a difference. I've been looking online and it says pre-op care is based on what your insurance requires. I also have to run to all the doctors who gave me X-Rays or MRIs for my back and ankle to show just cause for the need of weight loss surgery. Which I have. So that part isn't hard.

I just didn't realize it would be a 6 month process. I thought it would be a few weeks of pre-op appointments, then the surgery. Now I just need to start figuring out a 1500 calorie daily diet. They said I can start on the 1st, but I'm going to get a head start and start on Monday. I'm already close to a 1500 calorie a day diet anyway. I just need to make a few adjustments.

I also have to make an appointment with the dietician, the exercise therapist, and a psychologist. I have to see the dietician 4 times before surgery, the psychologist 2x before surgery and the exercise therapist at least 2x before surgery. I also have to attend a support group.

Then 2 weeks leading up to the surgery I have to adhere to a very specific diet... mostly to shrink my liver so they don't hit my liver during the operation. I have to eat the foods sold at the hospital... no Protein shakes as I thought. They tell me to stay away from carbonated drinks and from drinking through a straw. (Of course this means no soda, no beer, etc.) And when I do drink, It has to be 1/2 hour before eating, nothing while eating, and nothing until a 1/2 hour after eating.

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone who has been through pre-op? I have seen a lot of people on special diets for 2 weeks prior to surgery (mostly Protein shakes)... but haven't heard anyone state they needed to be on a 6 month 1500 calorie diet.

My doctor required that you go to the weight loss management before I could see her. It was 4 appointments, my insurance did not require anything so it just took one month. But I know most insurance companies require 6 to 9 months of diet and t have you.wha

I have Blue Cross Blue Shield - they didn't require the 6 month diet or meeting with a primary care doc every month. I did meet with the dietitian twice, (personal meeting & then a class), psychologist, group meeting, support group, ultrasound of my abdomen, pulmonologist & pre-op testing (blood work, upper GI, chest & abdomen x-Ray and EKG).

This surgeon doesn't want me on a Protein shake. No drinking anything through a straw. She says the dietician will explain why when I meet with her. Gotta make that appointment tomorrow.

One thing she stressed with me, if I get lap band... this is the ONLY surgery I can have for my lifetime. She said if it doesn't work out, I can't just remove it and have another procedure done. (not that I would. If this doesn't work, not putting myself through more surgery.)

I'm starting to get excited though. It's finally coming together. 6 months seems like a long time... but I'm 6 months closer than I was. I guess that's a way to look at it. And this 1500 calorie a day diet will give me a huge jump start.

I have my first appointment Monday with a surgeon, psychologist, dietician, and more. It is an 8 hour appointment. I will then be placed on a 3 month medically supervised diet (Thank you CIgna insurance) and I am sure I will be required to attends a support group which I do not mind. I am not sure what else will be required but I do think that your requirements, although a bit lengthy are relatively common. Good luck with the process-at least it is starting!

I had to do the 6 month dr supervised program as well. Every month I had to see the Dr and a nutritionist. The nutritionist had me on a 1500 calorie diet that included 4 shakes and a meal. I started on April 8 and finished on September 9. I was approved on the 19th. My surgery date is Oct. 10.

Hi Drea, my insurance company requires a BMI of 40 so I can't drop below that prior to my weight being submitted after I meet with the surgeon. I think most insurance companies allow a lower BMI if there are co-morbidities such as high BP, sleep apnea, etc. but mine does not. So this has been an issue -- basically I can't drop weight until I'm approved but then I can lose, including a two-week liquid diet for pre-op.

I had to do the following:

My Surgeon requires all patients to lose 5% of their weight during the pre-op stage. This was easy for me as I had to do 6 months anyway due to insurance.

• 6 month pre-op mandatory diet monitored by my Bariatric Surgeon (Cigna Insurance requirement)
  • 4 visits with Dietician
  • 1 visit with Psychologist
  • Attend minimum 6 Support meetings while pre-op
  • Physical by 3rd party Doctor for final surgical clearance. (insurance requirement)
  • Mandatory Nutrition class for band patients

Spent half a day at the hospital for the following tests:

• Upper GI
  • Abdominal Ultrasound
  • Cardiac Echo
  • EKG
  • Chest X-ray
  • Bloodwork

My Wife who just had Surgery this past Monday had to go through the same exact steps as above with exception to the 6 month mandatory diet. We switched to Blue Cross Blue Shield Massachusetts back in January and they had no diet requirements.