Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions About Pregnancy & Lap Band

:help: I have been banded for over a year and am thinking about getting pregnant. I have a few concerns though and would like some advice please.

I'm worried about the baby getting enough nutrition as I can't eat much at all. Is it true that the baby can live off your excess fat?

I'm also worried about the strain on the band from morning sickness and the birth itself. I plan on having a natural birth and am worried the strain it might put on the band. Is it safe to have surgery if there are any complications with the band whilst I am pregnant?

This would be my first pregnancy so on top of all the normal concerns a first time mother has, I have this worry too.

Can anyone help with some advice/information? Any help is truly appreciated.

I haven't been pregnant after being banded, however, I have discussed it with my dr. When you become pregnant, they would remove some of your fill so you can get enought nutrition for you and the baby.

Can't answer your other questions, though, maybe someone else with more experience can. Good luck :)

There've been a good number of pregnant bansters on this board. If you can't eat much, they'll probably remove your fill, or enough of it that they fell that you will be able to eat enough for you and your child. Also, if they don't remove all of your fill at first, they can always remove the rest later if you start to have morning sickness issues, or they may give you something to calm the nausea.

I researched this alot when I was thinking about getting banded, because I haven't had my kids yet either. The day before my surgery my doctor said to me "One of the greatest things about this surgery is that if you were to get pregnant tomorrow, it wouldn't be an issue."

Yep, you'll probably have some fill removed.

BUT - it is perfectly and easily possible to have a bouncing healthy baby with NO weight gain at all and keeping to around 1500 calories a day. I did it, with the blessing of my obstetrician becuase I was around 104kg when I fell pregnant with my third baby. He said to keep the calorie count down but to eat really good, nourishing food becuase the baby needs nourishment, not calories. In fact your body really only needs about 200 calories extra per day from the third trimester energy wise. I counted Weight Watchers points and ate very very carefuly and at the end of the pregnancy, not only did I have a healthy 3.72kg daughter, but I walked out of the hospital over 10kg lighter than when I'd conceived. My weight went up by about 3 or 4 kgs over the course of the pregnancy.

That's becuase I was 25-30kg overweight though, if you've reached a normal weight you will need to eat more and gain more.

Glad to see this thread.... I actually was gonna post about pregnancy and the band....but decided too do a search to see if anyone else had any info lingering around cyber space on LBT... My husband saiid yesterday that before I have any plastic surgery...tummy tuck ect...he wants to have another baby...I was shocked...our daughter is 6 and he has never even mentioned having another one until now!! WOW what a shock he said he was just wanting me to get healthier before he said anything...our first baby was born 6 weeks early... BIG SCARE!!! So I think we have both been worried that until I lost alot of weight that a pregnancy was just completly out of the question ...but now it seems like the time is coming closer to being right!!!! So I think I will lose at least 20 or 30 more pounds and then stop taking the good old birth control!!!! Any suggestions are hepful...please keep posting your experiences ...it could help some of us that are worried about pregnancy and the band!!!! congrats to those with band babys on the way!!!!!!

Go off of BCP now and use some other method of protection until you're ready to conceive. Your cycle can be messed up after going off of BCP's, so you want to give your body time to adjust - that and just be further from the chemicals in BCP's before getting pregnant. JMO

Be careful if you do stop taking your pills... I was pregnant within the week when I got off of mine. I was 340 pounds then (yikes)

Best of luck to you. I will be referring back to this when we decide to have another.