Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frequent UTIs??

Hey everyone! I was banded in December 2012 and since then I've had a few UTIs from not being able to drink as much as I should. I try to space out drinking so that its far enough away from meals but then I get caught up in other things and forget to drink. Anyone else have the UTI problem?

I don't but I am concerned that I might develop one because it's so hard trying to drink enough Water. Can you try to keep a cup of crushed ice close at hand? You might have better luck chewing on it throughout the day rather than trying to drink Water. I don't know that cranberry would help, it seems that might contribute to the problem because of it's acidity and you're already struggling to drink water.

That's a tough one. Good luck.

Goodness, that's a hard one.

A lot of us pretty much sip Water all day long. That's what I do. But, I've not had UTI issues either.

If I were you, I'd be sure it's Water intake causing it. Lots of medications can cause them and even sex can, too. I'd talk to your doctor. I'd also rule out they're true UTIs and not originating in your kidneys as well.

Best wishes.

Thank you ladies! I've talked to my Dr at length about it and both he and my surgeon seem to think I'm not drinking enough causing concentrated urine.

Lol I learned my lesson about UTIs and sex a long time ago :-)

I will try to keep Water around constantly. Maybe start out setting alarms on my phone til it becomes habit.

Thank you ladies! I've talked to my Dr at length about it and both he and my surgeon seem to think I'm not drinking enough causing concentrated urine.

Lol I learned my lesson about UTIs and sex a long time ago :-)

I will try to keep Water around constantly. Maybe start out setting alarms on my phone til it becomes habit.

I was really bad about drinking Water before the band. Now, I buy inexpensive bottled water and pretty much carry it around with me constantly. This way, it's like a little reminder to keep drinking. They make some really good water flavorings also, which makes it a bit easier (in my opinion).

I'm not sure what your doctor's drinking rules are, but mine allows me to drink right up until the time I start eating then resume a half hour after. Perhaps you can discuss it with your doctor and see if you can get the OK to do similar? It makes drinking a lot easier.

I'll do the same, carry Water with me. My Dr's rules are no drinking 20 mins before a meal or for 2 hours after a meal. I like your Drs rules better!! :)

Hi April,

Maybe you can let your Bari Doctor know you are having an issue with UTI and Fluid intake and he can modify the drinking times for you?

A co-worker was having serious issues like that, she is not banded. I mention it because she went to see a urologist and he told her that she had an obstruction in the urethra that was causing her not to empty fully and the remaining Fluid would back up into the bladder causing UTI.

She took some medication for a while and it's been better ever since.

Good luck and feel well!!

Goodness, that's a hard one.

A lot of us pretty much sip Water all day long. That's what I do. But, I've not had UTI issues either.

If I were you, I'd be sure it's Water intake causing it. Lots of medications can cause them and even sex can, too. I'd talk to your doctor. I'd also rule out they're true UTIs and not originating in your kidneys as well.

Best wishes.

I'm with Mis on this one..... Make sure that water is in fact the issue.

Years ago (pre-band), I was getting frequent UTIs, and my gyn sent me to a urologist. It turned out that I had kidney stones.

Thank you everyone!! I made an appt with my dr just to be sure. :-)