Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scary episode last night

So I had another fill on Tuesday and have been very careful all week to let that settle and not get stuck on anything. At lunch yesterday, I tried to eat a sandwich with pastrami and found that I could not chew it enough to get it down, so out that went. I didn't actually get stuck, but the rest of the day I found I really had to go slower than usual to get even mushy stuff down.

FF to last night at bedtime: I let the dog out, grabbed a small handful of nuts, chewed and chewed and chewed and chewed, and swallowed. Let the dog in, go upstairs and get a drink of Water and the second sip won't go down! So that stinks. But I don't feel any distress like being stuck feels, and I go to bed.

As I'm laying down, I feel water in my sinuses...like after using a neti pot and lying down...I didn't think anything of that and went to sleep. I suddenly started coughing, hard. Coughing like I had inhaled food or water. The only thing I can think is that I actually aspirated water when I laid down. Anyway, I coughed and coughed, to the point it felt like I was going to throw up. I have been banded a year and have never thrown up, but I never, ever want to! I cannot imagine what hell that must be. Anyway, it finally subsided and I was able to go back to bed.

My purpose for sharing this is that I don't want anyone to go through this if you can avoid it! If you feel like you have stuff in your pouch...don't lie down until you have given it time to move down!

Hi tiger, thanks for sharing.

From what I am reading, here are some recommendations.

#1 From fill to fill we all have to be cautious and aware that what went down the day before may not necessarily go down after the fill. We need to hyperfocus on every food again and eat it slow to make sure it's passing. I actually eat foods by themselves (meat only, or veggies only for example) so if I do have issues I know precisely which food it was. As you get closer to green, this will become more and more of an issue because some foods <may, but typically> become no foods..they simply don't pass or they cause too much discomfort.

#2 Some people don't experience much restriction, and as they get closer to green they are feeling restriction for the first time. (This is more of a generalized recommendation). So if you think a fill will allow you to eat big bites, same foods like before...remember that green will give you restriction and the experience of eating is a different sensation. Food will gather in your pouch. Depending on the type of food, it can sit there for a few seconds and slide through (like soft or watery foods) or it can sit there for much longer (denser foods). Treat every food like it's going to sit in the pouch for a 1/2 hr. Avoid drinking which can cause discomfort when there was none before.

#3 Timing. We never know whats going to happen when we eat. Even if we are well established from our fill, one day can be tight or maybe we didnt chew as thoroughly as we thought. Don't see yourself up by eating right before a meeting, or laying down to bed, or when you need to be active. When at all possible give yourself at least 1/2 hr AFTER eating before doing something that could be impossible to juggle both the activity and the regurg. You definitely had food/water in the pouch and aspirated. Very tricky stuff because that can lead to lung infections.

I'm glad you are doing better. Go slow and keep us posted

Thanks! I am definitely in a different place with this fill. I will try eating foods separately, that's a good idea. I was certainly more careful all day yesterday!