Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight loss and stress

Has anyone noticed that when you are going through an extremely stressful time that you do not lose weight?

I have not lost any weight in 2 months. These last few of weeks I have not be able to get to the gym. I suppose that is a bit of an excuse, but the reality is that I am under so much pressure that going to the gym is just going to be one more stress that I know my body will not tolerate right now.

It usually happens that I push myself harder when under this stress, and hit the gym for some stress relief and then what happens is that the second the emotional stress lightens up my body crashes and I end up sick for weeks.

I'm taking all the necessary Vitamins and trying to keep breathing…long deep breaths, just curious on how others find stress affects them after WLS.

Yes!!! Ditto for me, except I'm still working out. I'm sure it will pass, but it is frustrating. :huh:

It is not a surprise that you find it difficult to lose weight during periods of high stress. When the body is under stress, it releases a hormone called cortisol. Although this is a great hormone for short term "flight or fight" responses, it wreaks havoc on us it is in the body on a prolonged basis. This nasty hormone encourages sugar instability, fat storage in the body and starts messing with glands like the thyroid which just further makes wl an impossible feat.

Exercise is a great way to minimize cortisol levels and just so you know, cortisol depresses your immunity so you may be suffering illness due to that fact alone. However, deep breathing, meditating is good and green tea is an excellent counteractive agent for cortisol.

I too cannot juggle diet with stress. I am an emotional eater by default and rarely can I cope without sweets (which is also a byproduct of high cortisol levels). My goal during these periods is to maintain opposed to lose because it has been such a defeating battle. Try to make healthy choices and give attention to the source of the stress to alleviate it asap.

Plus you have a limited amount of willpower. If you're using tons of willpower dealing with the stress in your life it doesn't leave any left for trying to lose weight. Not to mention that the stress will make you feel tighter and may cause you to turn to comfort foods more like hazelsbliss was talking about.

Going to the gym is one of the best ways you can reduce stress , it does wonders for me when I am stressed or angry.

Going to the gym is one of the best ways you can reduce stress , it does wonders for me when I am stressed or angry.

Going to the gym sometimes works for me, but most of the time when I am so tightly wound up I end up pushing myself too hard. This puts just one more stress on my body and it revolts against me and maybe not the next day but by the end of the week I am sick. Usually with a really bad cold or infection, something that literally forces me to shut down for a while.

I'm working on not beating myself up too much, and trying to do what Hazel suggested. Make good choices, and taking deep breaths. I think I will make a cup of green tea this afternoon as well it can't hurt.

I actually got out of the office this afternoon into the sun (I was feeling like a vampire! I'm always inside actual sunlight is shocking!) I went to get the blood tests the Dr. ordered. It wasn't a "fun" break but it was nice to get out. I had a bounce in my step on the way back to the office.

Thank you all for the support, and advice!

Going to the gym is one of the best ways you can reduce stress ' date=' it does wonders for me when I am stressed or angry.[/quote']

I am planning to join a gym. My friend Tom has joined and He is over 400 lbs and 6'5"

Going to the gym sometimes works for me, but most of the time when I am so tightly wound up I end up pushing myself too hard. This puts just one more stress on my body and it revolts against me and maybe not the next day but by the end of the week I am sick. Usually with a really bad cold or infection, something that literally forces me to shut down for a while.

I'm working on not beating myself up too much, and trying to do what Hazel suggested. Make good choices, and taking deep breaths. I think I will make a cup of green tea this afternoon as well it can't hurt.

I actually got out of the office this afternoon into the sun (I was feeling like a vampire! I'm always inside actual sunlight is shocking!) I went to get the blood tests the Dr. ordered. It wasn't a "fun" break but it was nice to get out. I had a bounce in my step on the way back to the office.

Thank you all for the support, and advice!

I can totally relate with that, do what you need to do to chill out , tea is awesome sometimes a good movie or book does the trick as well, I hope you feel better soon