Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

rue21 weight discrimination

So I was just watching the news and a 14 year old girl walked into a Rue21 clothing store in Oregon and a sales associate told her to leave because she's too big to shop there. Oh how my heart breaks for this girl :( I had a similar experience at Victoria Secret but they were not so direct. At the same time I'm sure it is not the company's policy and just some stupid people; unless its Abercrombie which I will never support. Anyways, there's my rant.

That is awful. I feel so bad for that young girl. I can now shop in misses departments but before that when I would shop for my mother, size 10-12, no one ever questioned me looking at small sizes. Maybe because I am old.

That's simply horrible, especially since the poor girl was only 14 years old.

If I were that girl's mother I'd have someone's head on a platter for being so cruel. Who is the clerk to decide she's "too big" to shop anywhere? I don't care if the girl was a size 32W, if she wants to shop somewhere that only goes up to size 6 it's no one's business but her own.

When I was 400+ pounds I was often in young, trendy, small sized stores with my daughter. I couldn't even fit my ankle in their pants in those days and it was painfully obvious to anyone who saw me there. But still, if someone had told me I was too fat to be there? I'd have gone off on them big time.

Me again. I just went to Rue 21's site and they have plus sizes. I wonder what really happened unless they are 2 different stores.

Me again. I just went to Rue 21's site and they have plus sizes. I wonder what really happened unless they are 2 different stores.

messed up, it was Forever 21 who has plus sizes.

when i read this, i thought of my mother

when i was very young, i recall stepping on the scale and it reading 100 pounds..

and i thought it was cool to weigh that.........my mother called me fat...from that moment on.......and in my eyes, in my mind, in my entire being, i have forever been fat.....(fat).....no matter when i wasnt......just imagine how much i hated me at being super morbid obese last year.......i often wonder what she'd think.........yeah... words still hurt me..

and now you know also

This makes me sad b/c I've been fat my whole life. I was the chubby friend who went into regular sized stores while friends tried on clothes and I felt the clerks were looking at me like "why is she even in here?". I'm almost 30 years old and even now when I walk into a banana Republic and I know I can wear their clothes, I still feel like I don't belong. I hope this poor girl is a strong person!

This stories are really sad. I was really thin when I was young so could shop anywhere. If I was the girls mum I'd be murderous..I'd have the assistants job...

Recently I was looking for a wedding dress. I went into a boutique shop in ireland. The assistant sneered down her nose at me. I asked if they could help me. She said they they didn't accomodate women like me??? I said "what my height" I'm really tall.. She said no my size.. I was dumb struck. I might of wanted my dress made from scratch..ignorant woman.. Although I'm not getting married now I wil go back when I'm a size that could be accomodated and suggest where she shoves her dresses..lol

Sent from my GT-S5830 using LapBandTalk

when i read this' date=' i thought of my mother

when i was very young, i recall stepping on the scale and it reading 100 pounds..

and i thought it was cool to weigh that.........my mother called me fat...from that moment on.......and in my eyes, in my mind, in my entire being, i have forever been fat.....(fat).....no matter when i wasnt......just imagine how much i hated me at being super morbid obese last year.......i often wonder what she'd think.........yeah... words still hurt me..

and now you know also[/quote']

My mom would always say "you look great, but if you just firmed up you would be better" That plagued me all my life. I remember one time when I was fully active with a sick eating disorder, I had lost a LOT of weight and my mom said "Honey I think you need to gain some weight" In my mind I was elated and finally felt good and proud.....sick what words can do.