Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone I'm new.... Can anyone help?

Just introducing myself. I'm frances (37) I live in ireland. I was banded on july 3rd/13. I started out at 350llb. I'm now at 286llb. I've just had my second fill on the 28th of last month.. I'm at 8cc of a 14cc band. I'm suffering dreadful pain sometimes when I drink or eat. Feels like my throat is vibrating and only lasts briefly... I don't want an unfill as I was starving and struggling before but am finding this pain miserable. I'd rather not eat at all..

Just introducing myself. I'm frances (37) I live in ireland. I was banded on july 3rd/13. I started out at 350llb. I'm now at 286llb. I've just had my second fill on the 28th of last month.. I'm at 8cc of a 14cc band. I'm suffering dreadful pain sometimes when I drink or eat. Feels like my throat is vibrating and only lasts briefly... I don't want an unfill as I was starving and struggling before but am finding this pain miserable. I'd rather not eat at all..

What do you want us to tell you? Pain should not be part of eating, if you are too tight and don't like how it feel, but like the scale moving, it will be hard for anyone to convince you that you need to get a small amount out.

I am not here to tell you what you want to hear, I am here to tell you what will help you, and the lap band has a VERY high complication rate for this very reason alone, being too tight and not removing saline, after a recent fill when you know full well it is too tight.

If you are having pain with drinking your band is too tight, you need to face that fact, the pain will only get worse and you can damage your esophagus and cause enough damage to prevent you from getting a band again.

Some people have more swelling than others, you are about 5 days post fill, sometimes a fill does not settle in until about 2-3 weeks later, and it could get a lot worse before it's over, and it may get better and could just be swelling.

In the meantime, you may want to sip slowly and start your meals with warm tea, and if you cannot eat anything solid after 2 weeks, you are putting your band at risk/

Sometimes getting a very small amount like out immediately like .1cc can put you at the sweet spot, fills are NOT an exact science and sometimes the surgeon can go over the green zone into the red zone and it is up to YOU, to go back, and be honest of how you are feeling and get a little bit out to prevent any type of complication.

Good luck

Hi thanks for the reply.. I have to travel to the uk for treatment/fills. So only want to go back as a last resort.. After my first fill I felt nothing at all.. I was permanently hungry, eating quite large portions etc. There were foods I couldn't eat at all but asides from that felt unbanned.. My after care team said no drinking 30 mins prior to eating or after food but I will try Hot Drinks as you suggested.. I don't get weighed very often it's not the scales influencing my decision... I'm scared of being constantly hungry again.. I'll persevere a few more days if things don't improve I'll have an unfill and see how I go.. Thanks

Hi thanks for the reply.. I have to travel to the uk for treatment/fills. So only want to go back as a last resort.. After my first fill I felt nothing at all.. I was permanently hungry, eating quite large portions etc. There were foods I couldn't eat at all but asides from that felt unbanned.. My after care team said no drinking 30 mins prior to eating or after food but I will try hot drinks as you suggested.. I don't get weighed very often it's not the scales influencing my decision... I'm scared of being constantly hungry again.. I'll persevere a few more days if things don't improve I'll have an unfill and see how I go.. Thanks

I understand, many people who have to travel for fills are most reluctant to go back to get saline removed, but also more likely to suffer more band complications than those who have a surgeon nearby.

Give it 2 weeks, if you are still having issues, you really need to get some out.

If you are too tight -- eventually that saline will come out by force, but you don't want to end up getting all the saline removed, WITH a possible dilated pouch, you want to prevent complicaitons.

If you go back immediately and only get maybe 1 or .2cc removed you may be at your green zone and feel good and lose weight, but if you keep a too tight band too long, it could cause some serious damage and you could very well lose your band too.

Be safe and careful, good luck.

Maybe you just need a small unfill. But my best advise is see your doctor. You don't want to wind up with other issues that are more serious.

sounds like you are too tight.. 8 cc's is quite a lot .. I was banded in Jan and only have 2 cc's in my band.. so far.. I would call the surgeon and or staff and see if they can remove some ...

Sorry to tell you this sweetie but you need a small unfill. Too much in my personal opinion was put in at one time. I know from personal experience that lead me to the ER because I was too tight and had ALL my Fluid taken out and had to start all over again. It's not worth living in misery. My advice would be to take out at least .5cc and see if that helps a bit. I hope you make the right decision. Hope you feel better soon so you can eat and drink properly.

Hi again, firstly thankyou to everyone that took the time to reply. I really appreciate it.. Spoke to the after care team/band fill lady. She said it was possible I needed a slight unfill..(you were right) but as I'd had 6•5 cc added to my band in a 3 wk period some tightness could be swelling. I said about the pain also she suggested buscopan or deflatine.. I'm now taking these and can eat pain free..very small amounts. Still on soft ish foods. I'll have an unfill if I havent progressed to normal food next week. Thankyou again. Xxx

I live in England and am interested where you had your surgery. I know that where I had mine done, they have a lot of clients from Scotland and Ireland. I had my surgery with The Hospital Group - Dolan Park - Mr Sigurdsson on the 15 Aug.

Hope things work out for you :)

Sounds Way too tight !!!!

I live in England and am interested where you had your surgery. I know that where I had mine done' date=' they have a lot of clients from Scotland and Ireland. I had my surgery with The Hospital Group - Dolan Park - Mr Sigurdsson on the 15 Aug.

Hope things work out for you :)[/quote']

Sounds like you guys should become friends!

Everyone here has been there for me ! Great Site!

Thanks Pastor O we are now! :)