Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

post-211098-13813135389443_thumb.jpgJust recently I just started becoming more interested with my weight/strength training of course added with my 45-60 min Interval cardio regimen. I did some research and eventually came up with this for myself. My own personal goal is to NOT become big and bulky but more toned with more muscle. I do understand that some women are afraid of getting bulky, but understand our bodies and chemistry is made completely different from a man, so with that being said, we can train without getting the bulk that you think you would get. DO NOT BE AFRAID OF WEIGHTS. Muscle and fat are not created equal, 5lb of muscle is NOT the same as 5lb of fat. Muscle does not take up the same space as fat. So, if you add in weights, and you dont lose, or possibly gain, ITS OK...you possibly gained muscle and lost fat, which will make you look more slimmer.

Muscle mass and fat are different. Muscle is active tissue that burns calories around the clock even as you sleep, kind of like an engine running in neutral. When you move around, you burn more calories, just like a car will consume more gas the faster you go. Fat, on the other hand, is just a storage of excess energy. It does nothing but sit there with its sole goal in life to be a spare tire around your waist until you put in the effort to burn it off.

So, everyone has to start somewhere. If you have never trained with weights before, you need a routine to get your muscles prepared for more serious training if you choose to do so. It's essential that you complete a full body routine for 12 weeks before starting a split routine.

I have noticed a big difference since doing this. HOPE THIS CAN AND WILL HELP SOMEONE.

Weeks 1-6: Total Body Circuit Workout

• Complete the following on two non-consecutive days per week.
  • During the first three weeks, do each exercise for one set of 15 reps: during the last three weeks, do two sets of 12 reps for bodyparts indicated (using a slightly heavier weight on all sets)
  • The numbers below represent number of sets and reps

WEEKS 1-3:

Weeks 1-3

Bodypart Exercise Sets Reps

Quads/Glutes: Leg Press 1 15

Hamstrings: Lying Leg Curl 1 15

Upper Back: Seated Cable Row 1 15

Chest :Flat Bench Press 1 15

Shoulders: Dumbbell Press 1 15

Traps: Dumbbell shrug 1 15

Tricep:s Pushdown 1 15

Biceps Barbell curl 1 15

Lower Back: Back extension 1 15

Calves: Standing calf raise 1 15

Forearms: Barbell wrist curl 1 15

WEEKS 4-6:

Weeks 4-6 Weeks 4-6 Bodypart Exercise Sets Reps Quads/Glutes Leg Press 2 12 Hamstrings Lying Leg Curl 2 12 Upper Back Seated Cable Row 2 12 Chest Flat Bench Press 2 12 Shoulders Dumbbell press 2 12 Traps Dumbbell shrug 2 12 Triceps Pushdown 2 12 Biceps Barbell curl 2 12 Lower Back Back extension 2 12 Calves Standing calf raise 2 12 Forearms Barbell wrist curl 2 12 Abdominals Crunches

2-12

Weeks 7 – 12: Split Workout with Increased Intensity.

• Divide your body into two parts (upper and lower), increasing weight training days to three non consecutive days per week (i.e., Monday, Wednesday, Friday).
  • Alternate between the two exercise routines. In the first week, you’ll end up doing Workout 1 twice, while in the second week you’ll do workout 2 twice etc.
  • Do sets and reps as indicated.
  • Rest 60-90 seconds between the sets.
  • Choose exercise alternates on occasion to work the muscles a little differently

Workout 1: Upper Body

Workout 1: Upper Body Workout 1: Upper Body Bodypart Exercise Sets Reps Chest Flat Dumbbell Press Pec Dec Fly 2 1 10-12 10-12 Upper Back 1 arm dumbbell row Seated Cable Row 2 1 10-12 10-12 Shoulders Seated dumbbell press Dumbbell lateral raise 2 1 10-12 10-12 Traps Dumbbell shrug 2 10-15 Triceps Pushdown 2 10-12 Biceps Barbell curl 2 10-12 Forearms Barbell wrist curl 2 10-12

Workout 2: Lower Body

Workout 2: Lower Body Workout 2: Lower Body Bodypart Exercise Sets Reps Quads/Glutes Smith machine squats 1 8-12 Quads Leg extension 1 10-12 Hamstrings Lying leg curl 1 10-12 Lower Back Back extension 1 20-30 Calves Standing calf raise 1 12-15 Abdominals Crunches Reverse 1 12

post-354803-13813142301326_thumb.png

I agree with you regarding the benefits of weight training. I do nearly no formal cardio exercises anymore, aside from incidental exercising, because I'm in maintenance and am no longer trying to lose weight. I am active, I swim and walk and cycle recreationally but I don't have a cardio 'routine' as such anymore.

I am, however, doing weight training so that I build muscle (not seeking to be muscular, but strong), lower my body fat percentage, increase my metabolism and strengthen my core (which is helpful as we get older and lose our balance more easily). The side effect of that is that I expect to gain a little as I get stronger. And yet at a BMI of 24 and a BFP of 19% now, I'm actually only one clothing size bigger than I was at a BMI of 21 (with a BFP of 22%). So yes I think a holistic view of all of your body composition is important in the long run.

I agree with you regarding the benefits of weight training. I do nearly no formal cardio exercises anymore, aside from incidental exercising, because I'm in maintenance and am no longer trying to lose weight. I am active, I swim and walk and cycle recreationally but I don't have a cardio 'routine' as such anymore.

I am, however, doing weight training so that I build muscle (not seeking to be muscular, but strong), lower my body fat percentage, increase my metabolism and strengthen my core (which is helpful as we get older and lose our balance more easily). The side effect of that is that I expect to gain a little as I get stronger. And yet at a BMI of 24 and a BFP of 19% now, I'm actually only one clothing size bigger than I was at a BMI of 21 (with a BFP of 22%). So yes I think a holistic view of all of your body composition is important in the long run.

I Completely agree with you. You may gain, but at least its a good gain of muscle and not fat.