Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where's your port?

My port is about 4 inches above my belly button and about 2 inches to the left. The surgeon told me that she wouldn't know where she could put it until she got in there. It had to be a place that wasn't too thick with fat, and embedded in the muscle tissue. So far I'm happy with where it was placed, but didn't have much say about it at all.

Mine is pretty much in the same place. No problems thus far!

Mine is essentially on my waistline on the left side. Apparently it is a real bear to fill since it is so deep. I asked about placement since I have a friend with a sternum port. I was told by one of the hospital staff "that is NOT where the surgeon places ports". I got the impression that it was non-negotiable.

If I'd had my druthers, I'd have wished it about 3"-4" higher on the same side.

Mine is on the left side just a few inches about my waist line. I am left handed and I asked about putting it on the right side so I would be less prone to bumping it with laundry baskets and the like. I was told to adapt my way of lifting and holding stuff, this was my only option. I am happy with the placement, I have no pain when bending, but when I over do lifting I am sore the next day or so. My follow-up doctor says that is normal, not to worry. We are getting ready to move in 2 weeks and I am packing and getting ready to go, so I am sore now and will be for several more weeks. ~Mandy

My port is just below the breast bone in the very center. My SIL and I were banded on the same day by the same Dr., hers is lower and to one side (I don't remember which side). We compared, became curious and ask about it. I was told, mine is high, because I still have both my gall bladder and my appendix, so any abdominal surgery I have in the future, would be lower, so with my port high, it would create less possible interference. She on the other hand has already had both removed. Mine being high, has been somewhat of an issue with the incision being irritated by my bra. Being big breasted, they tend to "rest" there when I am sitting down. But there is no pain from bending or lifting anything. Tomorrow will be 3 weeks since having it done. I am back to full activity, and even find myself sleeping on my stomach again with no pain.

Kat

My port is on my sternum right between my breasts. Had it done in Germany and this is where they place them. I can only feel it when I lay flat and feel for it. My fill MD was very happy where it was placed because it is easy to find and easy to access. The incision is probably 6 inches down from where the port is. My fill doc said when there is a lot of abdominal fat and the port is in the abdominal area, it can make it really hard sometimes to find and to access because there is nothing firm below to push against. I was sore for maybe 2-3 days after the fill and if it wasn't for my knowing it was there, I wouldn't know it.

Mine is about 3 inches about my belly button and about 2 inches to the left, pretty typical placement.

Its never ever been a problem to me, I've actually only felt it once or twice when I've leaned over the kitchen bench. It doesnt come anywhere near the waistband of anything I own but I wouldnt wear anything with a fly longer than about 4 inches anyway, lol. No nana pants here!

Ok - I've just had a good feel between my breats, lol, and its all bone there. There's nowhere soft to put it - do they put it lower down on the centre of your tummy or on your breastbone?

Jacqui- have you taken a CPR class? My friend's sternum port is just below the xyphoid process. Right where breastbone meets the stomach. So when you go 'natural' the port is right between the 'ladies'. *winks*

Ok - I've just had a good feel between my breats, lol, and its all bone there. There's nowhere soft to put it - do they put it lower down on the centre of your tummy or on your breastbone?

For me it is on my breastbone (sternum). I would say they can put it anywhere. Gives a good anchor for access.

OK - well maybe my ladies arent as saggy as I thought, lol. Because between them its bony.

I would worry it would poke out on the sternum? I've got quite a bony chest now, most of the weight I"ve lost so far has come from my upper body.

my port is just below my breast bone dead in the center of my abdomen, but the scar is a couple inches below the port

My port is just above my waist and about 3 inches from the center of my stomache. I did have one incident at about 4 weeks post op where I bent over to pick up my Tennis shoes and my port pinched the heck out of my tummy! I am more careful with my bending ever since that incident and have not had it happen again.