Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm Starting To Have Second Thoughts

I am starting to have second thoughts about doing the lapband surgery. My surgery is scheduled for Sept 12 and I am self-pay. I am using my savings for the down payment and will be making monthly payments. I do have health insurance, however mine does not pay for wls at all. I'm nervous about the $.

I'm also nervous about the surgery itself. I am, of course, overweight and I honestly have tried everything - I'm a mother of four kids and a wife. I want to be there for my family - I'm just scared. I'm embarrassed that I let myself go. Just nervous about the whole thing - I'm also nervous I will have a problem after surgery that my health ins will not cover. My husband, co-workers and family are pretty supportive but I'm having second thoughts- appreciate any encouragement! Thanks - everyone here always so sweet !

It's nervous to have second thoughts with any type of weight loss surgery, it's a life changing event and comes with it so much responsibility. And the lap band has MANY responsibilities in order for you to accomplish your weight loss goals and minimize any complication risk.

Here are some things to ponder:

1. Have you thoroughly researched your surgeon? Being self pay you REALLY need to make sure you are in good hands, have you asked about his complication rate, how many revisions has he/she has done from Band to Bypass or Sleeve? If his rate is very low, you are OK, if he/she revises a lot of his lap band patients to Sleeves or Bypass BEWARE.

2. Have you asked about his aftercare? Does he fill the band and follow your progress? Does he perform dynamic fills this is a good method where you drink liquids while the fill adjustment is being perform and it helps you detect the sweet spot more quickly. Can you get fills when YOU need them, or when they be on some sort of schedule. Or will he outsource this to another fill giver, or does he have a qualified PA that assists in surgery to do fills, VERY IMPORTANT, you don't want any unskilled nurse or fill giver performing your fills. Aftercare also includes checking or identifying any lap band problems, Upper Gi's and ordering EGD, when and if necessary to check the health of your band if you have issues.

3. How many lap bands has he/she has done? If over 500 you are ok, if not I would seek another lap band surgeon (especially if you are self pay).

4. If you are financing the lap band will you have money for future upkeep? You have to be realistic here, if your insurance will not pay for the band, fills can get really expensive depending on where you live, they range from $10 with co-pay up to over $1,500 per fill, so you need to ask your surgeon UPFRONT what the fills will cost for you as a self pay at least for a year.

Some surgeons will include free fills for 6 months to a year in their package for self pay patients, because it can take up to 3-5 fills or more before you get to the green zone and be prepared if it takes A good YEAR before you get to a restriction level where you don't need any more fills. But many people reach a good fill level fairly quickly.

5. Just because you are self pay NOW, does not mean if you have a complication your insurance will not pay for it, usually MOST insurances that don't cover bariatric surgery WILL cover a complication if it is deemed medically necessary, but again, you should check your insurance policy, and if does not, you need to be prepared for any unforeseen complications, whether if you need a Upper Gi, or EGD or have to have a port replaced, or tubing or worse band replaced, these are things you need to think about because they CAN and DO happen with the band.

I will give you an example, I got my band replaced last year, my first band was paid for 100 percent, 7 years later I had a new insurance plan, and it did not cover any bariatric surgery, BUT -- it paid 100 percent to fix a hiatal hernia which was required to remove the old band and place a new one, because I had a complication, it as deemed medically necessary because of the hernia to remove my old band and replace a new AP band because it was medically necessary.

Honestly whether you get the Band, Bypass, or Sleeve you can run into unforeseen medical costs from unexpected complications, but again, many people do not have any issues, and sail along fine, but again you need to be prepared especially if you are going to be self pay.

The risk is worth it for many people because you end up with a healthier life and better self esteem.

Good luck

Some questions to consider:

How much have you already invested (financially/mentally)?

In 5 years from now, will you regret the decision of turning down this opportunity?

Are you fearing change or just listening to the food addict inside?

You say you've let yourself go...are you willing to let yourself go further? <-- I have asked myself this a lot lately. My answer is NO!!

If you are nervous about the money, talk to the billing dept at your surgeon's office. Then talk to your husband.

I have done alot of research - ok I had to pay $500 down my first visit - that covered the pre-op. tests - EKG & blood work - the total for the surgery is $9999.00 - I am paying for 1/2 cash and financing the other 1/2- I get 2 free fills - each fill after that is $200. The doctor/surgeon does the fills himself.

My doctor has performed more than any other dr in south Florida - 2000 total. He told me that he that around 10% of patients have problems & said that the some of those were caused by patients not taking good care of theirselves after surgery. He told me that I shouldn't have any problem and that he uses the top of the line lap band which causes very little problem. My BMI is 38 and he said I am a perfect candidate because I do not have any underlying conditions.

I'm just nervous - it'll be ok - thanks everyone for the advice. I know it will be worth it & ill do my very best !