Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Burps good for you?

Hey guys,

I just have a little silly question, ever since surgery I have been burping a lot more. Fortunately I haven't have a problem with the other end. When ever I burp I always feel like some pressure has been released off my chest and I feel better. And it's not right after meals or any thing like that, its just random through out the day,and its usually little quiet burps. Does any one else experience this? What's it mean?

Ahhh...burps are the best. It feels like you've had a huge drink of cola and you just have to burp! I was just banded on 5/9 so I have all sorts of gas. The family has made a game of it (as sad as it sounds). The doctor said several times it was very important to pass gas so each time it happens my family says "HOORAY!" Make me feel not quite so embarrassed. :)

Ok, so now I am officially confused then. I thought the reason we aren't allowed to drink soda is because it makes us burp and burping is bad. I have been burping like crazy since being banded, but have not touched diet coke. And, I really miss my diet coke. Does anyone still drink soda after being banded?

I had a very hard time burping after surgery and felt like I'd never burp again, oh no! But then, about 5 days after surgery I had a big ol', just-drank-a-soda, buuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrppppppp! It felt like heaven. Now I'm just burping like before surgery, only when I need to, nothing unusual or an increased frequency. Could it be you're swallowing air with your new eating method?

BTW, the purpose of not drinking soda is not because BURPING is bad or dangerous for you. My understanding is that the carbonation in the soda puts pressure on your band and esophogus from below. Picture your stomach like a balloon - if you fill the balloon with carbonation it will expand rapidly. To release the pressure you open up the balloon and let air out, or, in the case of your stomach, you burp. With the band you cant get enough of the gas out fast enough to relieve the pressure which is hard on your stomach, esophogus, and your band. Not to mention painful, or so I hear. I don't like soda well enough to suffer for it! lol That's my take on it.

I would think that if you drank soda before eating, the carbonation gas would cause a problem. If food is trying to get down that tiny hole and carbonation is trying to come up that tiny hole, there's bound to be trouble.

Someone correct me if my understanding of the ban on soda is incorrect.

I didn't mean that I drank soda, it just *feels* like that sort of burp. I've been off all soda since about three weeks before surgery. It's gone from my life forever. Strangely enough, I don't miss it.

Sorry I was confusing...

If your really craving diet soda just let it sit over night with the cap off and it will go flat (no fizz). Its not the same but it sure does taste good when your desperate :)

Yeap, before the band I was never mu7ch of a burping person, but now, thanks to the band I've discovered the joys of a good burp! :clap2: I do it even if I didn't have nothing to eat, no particular time of the day, and it feels quite good!

There's no problem whatsoever with burping, it won't do any harm to your band. The reason why you should not drink soda when you have a band is because carbonation can make your pouch stretch too much and that's not good at all! if you're really craving for some diet coke try taking out some of the fizz/bubles with a spoon before drinking it.

niki

During laparoscopic surgery the surgeon inflates your abdomen with carbon dioxide. If you've ever seen it done, it's kind of freaky - your abdomen gets all distended. The gas pressure pushes the "skin" up off the organs so the surgeons can move around and see what they're doing. It's the laparoscopic version of retractors. :)

Anyway, the surgical gas is not inside your organs, it is outside, between the organs and the skin in the "space" in your body. It can apply pressure on the organ from the outside, but cannot apply pressure from the inside. When you ingest carbon dioxide, it is in the organ itself, and can apply from the inside but not the outside. In other words, having your abdomen blown up like a balloon during surgery isn't going to stretch your organ, but having your puch blown up from the inside can. Hope that makes sense. :success1:

I was burping in recovery. I never had an ounce of pain related to the gas. There was some residual gas in me, because they put flat "stickers" over my staples, and by the time I got home some of those stickers had bubbled up around the staples... that was a little freaky. :rolleyes:

I've noticed that now when I burp, it feels like it's coming from deeper inside, it comes out slowly & lasts forever, like it's trickling out whereas pre-op it would come charging out. :scales: