Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trying Spirulina - sounds like an amazing supplement!

I was just about out of my expensive Vitamins and was determined that I wasn't going to keep spending that much money for them, so I placed an order for TwinLab Bariatric Support chewable Multi in berry flavor with Iron from iherb on Friday (60 ct. - $9.99) and they arrived this morning! I like these because you only need 1 as opposed to 2-4 of other brands, which is a savings in itself. While I was on the site, I did a bit more surfing and found Certified Organic Spirulina, after doing a bit of research on the product it sounded like something that would be beneficial for me...and other bandsters! I bought the small bottle, which is certified organic and labeled as a Genuine Whole food. The retailer is a trusted Google site, so I was fairly sure I couldn't go wrong trying it. I also purchased a box of Black Currant tea (I love this stuff!) and my entire order including shipping was only $27.00.

I thought I'd share this with you all.

What is it?

Spirulina is a natural “algae” (cyanbacteria) powder that is incredible high in Protein and nutrients. When harvested correctly from non-contaminated ponds and bodies of Water, it is one of the most potent nutrient sources available. It is largely made up of Protein and essential amino acids, and I typically recommend it to clients who decide to remain vegetarian for its high natural Iron content. It is often touted for its high B-12 content, though there is a lot of debate about if this particular form is a complete and absorbable form of B-12 and I don’t recommend it completely in place of animal products.

The high concentration of protein and iron also makes it idea during pregnancy, after surgery or anytime the immune system needs a boost.

Health Properties:

Though it does taste like pond scum, Spirulina has some great health-boosting qualities:

• Spirulina is 65% protein and amino acids including the essential fatty acid gamma linolenic acid (GLA) which has gotten a lot of attention for its anti-inflammatory properties, especially when taken with other quality Omega-3 supplements like Fermented Cod Liver Oil. (I suspect that the benefits of GLA in Spirulina are even more than what the studies have found since these studies often use vegetable oils for their GLA source, and the other inflammatory compounds in vegetable oils can interfere with the anti-inflammatory ability.) It contains all essential amino acids.
  • Spirulina contains Omega 3-,6 and 9s and is especially high in Omega-3s.
  • Spirulina is extremely high in Chlorophyll, which helps remove toxins from the blood and boost the immune system.
  • Spirulina has a very high concentration of bio-available iron and is excellent during pregnancy and for those with anemia and will not cause Constipation.< br />
  • Spirulina is a great source of other nutrients including (according to Wikipedia): “Spirulina contains Vitamins B-1(thiamine), B-2 (riboflavin), B-3(nicotinamide), B-6 (pyridoxine), B-9 (folic acid), Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Vitamin A and Vitamin E. It is also a source of potassium, Calcium, chromium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, selenium, sodium and zinc. Spirulina contains many pigments which may be beneficial and bioavailable”
  • This Spirulina (from Mountain Rose Herbs) was tested be an independent laboratory and found to have an ORAC (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity) of over 24,000 which is 4x the ORAC score of blueberries. The ORAC score is generally used to measure antioxidant ability and concentration in different foods.
  • Spirulina is also incredibly high in Calcium with over 26 times the calcium in milk, making it excellent for children, the elderly and during pregnancy.
  • Some research has suggested that Spirulina may be helpful in allergies and allergic reactions.
  • Spirulina’s phosphorus content makes it helpful as part of a tooth remineralization regimen.
  • Emerging evidence suggests that it binds with radioactive isotopes and may be useful for radioactivity exposure or radiation therapy.
  • The protein in Spirulina is highly usable and has a net protein utilization rate of between 50-61%
  • Spirulina can bind with heavy metals in the body and help remove them.
  • Spirulina can increase fat burning during exercise.

Okay, I have to admit, this cracked me up. It really does sound amazing, but this one sentence is what got me: "Though it does taste like pond scum, Spirulina has some great health-boosting qualities" - LOL!! :D You'll have to let us know how it goes once you receive it, and how it tastes.

I love Spirulina -- thanks for the reminder. Putting it on my list of things to try once I get to that place. We go to a coop that makes a great green shake. Maybe that's something I'll be able to have (only sips vs. the extra large I can gulp down now). Looking forward to getting through to the other side!

Okay, I have to admit, this cracked me up. It really does sound amazing, but this one sentence is what got me: "Though it does taste like pond scum, Spirulina has some great health-boosting qualities" - LOL!! :D You'll have to let us know how it goes once you receive it, and how it tastes.

I've gotten it and mine actually came in small tablets, I've swallowed them whole about 4 hours ago and I don't have a weird taste or anything.

Ah, good to know! I can swallow tablets! Just wasn't relishing the thought of having to taste pond scum - LOL! ;)