Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bad back issues during weight loss?

Has anyone experienced bad back issues after losing weight?

I've started running again and although I'm running faster than before I'm really suffering from a bad back. Is this normal post band op?

Any ideas on how to prevent bad back pain?

Only way to prevent it is to do core strengthening exercises in addition to your cardio. Your abdominal, back and glut muscles need equal strengthening to accomplish this.

And than there's the fact that most of us haven't used these muscles in a long time and just like when you do circuit training you can expect to be sore soon after. Running requires your erector muscles to be contracted the entire time and this could be the source. I'm not sure how superficial the pain is (meaning muscles vs spinal etc) but try heating pads as well as things like bengay to relieve the pain in the interim.

I have back issues (non weight related) and have found my symptoms more manageable since losing weight. However, I avoid activities that exasperate the symptoms. If your pain feels more like the spine and/or nerves than it's not advised to compound the injury w/ reinjury.

Back pain can be caused by a lot of things, but I too had a temporary back pain increase while losing weight.

I went into my PCP when my back started to become an issue (I suggest you do the same, btw) and what I found out was surprising. He said it's not uncommon for people that have lost a lot of weight to have back issues. He said when you're overweight and carry a great deal of the weight in your stomach, your spine gets used to being in a forward swayed position to compensate for the extra mass. When you lose weight, your back begins to straighten to a more natural position, but the problem is that natural position isn't "normal" to your body anymore. Because of it, there is a sharp increase in back pain while you spine adjusts itself. He said it's not uncommon for the back pain to last 6 months or more but if it is due to weight loss, it will resolve over time.

Dr. Scholls makes shoe inserts that can help. They're a bit costly, $40-$50, but they are pretty good because they're specific to your needs rather than a one size fits all.

I would see your doctor, get checked out, and figure out the cause of your specific pain.

Make sure your footwear is in good shape. I went through sneakers very fast when I was heavy and even though they do last longer now they still cause my back to ache when they are due for replacing. I now keep a pair just for working out and a pair for every day wear. Funny thing is I feel it in my back long before I feel it in my feet.

Make sure your footwear is in good shape. I went through sneakers very fast when I was heavy and even though they do last longer now they still cause my back to ache when they are due for replacing. I now keep a pair just for working out and a pair for every day wear. Funny thing is I feel it in my back long before I feel it in my feet.

I completely agree. I have a pair of sneakers (Sketchers with memory foam soles, I love them!) just for walking/exercise and another pair for regular activity.

Where is your back pain?

If it's in the middle of your back between your shoulder blades it might be the band pressing on your vegas nerve. I just posted about this a few days ago because I was having agonizing pain, particularly after eating, and was also feeling dizzy... Ended up getting a very small unfill (.2cc) which has COMPLETELY fixed the issue!!!

Thanks everyone for your posts.

Yes I think I will get checked out.

I do get my feet checked out regularly when I buy a new pair of running shoes. Actually with all the weight loss I need less correction in my shoes than before.

I am 3 weeks into doing a core training session each week and there is no doubt that this is helping me reduce the back pain. I'm swimming 3-4 times a week and this helps too.

I think the running really brings on the back pain. I did a 5k race in 24 mins this week and I was in agony afterwards for a few days. So I think I need to concentrate on the core training and the swimming and scale it down a bit on the running for a bit.

Thanks for all your help