Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op food tantrum, how do you cope?

I am on day 4 of my 10 day pre-op diet. Not doing too bad, planning is my friend. However, yesterday I had quite the fit. I guess I should start off by saying I suffer from and take various meds for depression, anxiety, ADHD and the like. I also see a pain management dr for back pain, so I'm learning how to deal with that on top of everything else. Needless to say, I get overwhelmed.

Yesterday was one of those days. I was having a hard day and not looking forward to the challenging evening as well, I worked myself into a tizzy and was just pissed and grumpy and wanted to treat myself to cheer myself up. I had no idea what else to do. I wanted ice cream or something equally as bad for me and nothing was making it go away. I needed a fix. It reminded of when I quit smoking, I couldn't do the one thing that I wanted to more than anything else in the world. I wanted that food to help me escape my horrible mood that I somewhat created myself by anticipating the challenges ahead of me. I was all worked up. I was trying to ignore my kids and play video games on my phone, getting more irritated when they'd break through my bubble and penetrate my walls. I couldn't withdraw enough and I wasn't sure how to snap out of it. My hubby came home early and unexpected, and I went into the room with him, he held me and I cried while I bitched and he figured out I didn't need him to fix it, just listen. I had some sugar free fat free pudding after that, and was still a bit irritated until the kids went to bed and I was able to have my own thoughts to myself.

Yesterday was a work-out day for me, I should have been in Water aerobics at the time. However I had carpal tunnel surgery last week and could not go. I think that played a huge part in it. My classes are a huge mental wellness therapy sort of thing for me, and with that surgery and the lapband next week, I'm out for a good 3 weeks. *sigh*

Anyway, I totally ramble (I mentioned the ADHD right?).

What kind of tricks, tips, therapies do you have for when you are having a fit? I know that these will go away as time goes on, just like they did when I quit smoking. However, I would like to know what all of you do when you can't get what you want? Specifically can't eat what you want. Or how you treat yourself in the middle of a busy day when it has just been a hard one? I couldn't just leave my kids and go get a pedicure, there has to be other options.

I don't have any tips to offer, just letting you know your not alone. I was extremely pissy last night when the hubby n kids ordered chicken strips n fries when we went to play pool. Then couldn't figure out why I wouldn't eat and they kept shoving the baskets in my face.... Yeah and they are my support group!!!

You definitely are not alone!!! I am on day 8 of a 16 day pre-op (Surgery August 30th) on Monday I got into a big argument with my wife that I needed to have solid food as i was starving.She kept asking me if it was hunger or if I was just craving solid food like someone who craves a cigarette. It was a craving! It is hard but I personally am trying hard to focus on the big picture and visualizing myself in normal sized clothes and being able to be more active.

Hang in there ???

Chris

If I didn't have kids I'd totally go meditate, or do some yoga poses. Mama needs a way to take a timeout.

Well I am definitely on the right page, postoperative 9 days and starving for something to chew. A Chinese chicken salad sounds heavenly right now, basically I am hungry and 10 days more of graduating to mashed potatoes just doesn't seem to do the trick right now. Ten days sounds like an eternity but yes, I will do it, with God's help that is! Well I guess I just needed to vent, feel better already. Thanks for putting up w/me.

Venting...Maybe I'll try just coming on here with a big vent of profanities ;-)

I am post op and just returning to the forums but wanted to let you all know you are not alone. I had a 14 day Protein Shake and liquids only pre-op diet. On day 3 I was really suffering and as hubby and I were driving home from work, he attempted to be funny and mentioned Chinese buffet for dinner. The thought gave me so much joy and I agreed and he immediately shot me down and reminded me that was a no-no. There were tears and his life was threatened a few times. He ended up calling my mother and we all agreed that perhaps some egg drop Soup would be fair. I ended up having some form of 2 eggs for dinner for most of my pre-op diet, I lost about 25 pounds in the two weeks and my surgery went great. The stomach shrunk up like it needed too and everything. I think everyone who makes it through the pre-op diet can make it through banded life. There will be ups and downs but the pre-op diet was definitely awful, and it's just about survival during it. No one who isn't / hasn't gone through it will understand. Good luck to you all! You can do it. :D

My DH and I start our pre-op diet next Friday. We have to do 3 weeks of 5 Protein shakes a day...and we can have up to 2 cups of broth daily as a treat (!).

We've already made a pinkie-swear pact that nothing either of us says or does during those 3 weeks can be held against us.