Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NEED exercise advice

1month 3 days post-op

walking 30 mins

7 days a week

(started 2 wks after surgery)

Down 37lbs heaviest

Down 26lbs surgery

--pre-op diet was only 3 days--

QUESTION:

Should I increase my walking (by 15 min increments until I'm walking for 1 hour)?

OR

Cont. walking 30mins & Start using stationary bike (eventually working up to 30 mins each)?

(We also have a total gym... never used & I just ordered a beginning yoga DVD)

Any savvy fitness tips, thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure how long to focus on cardio before starting strength training?

(FYI: working out at home; climate controlled garage; doing well/getting into a routine & not ready for the gym yet)

Also does it matter / is it better, to work out in am & pm or all at once?

Working in am is better to rev up your metabolism

Its always encouraged to do cardio and weight lifting simultaneously opposed to waiting for a certain weight to start weight lifting. Workout as much as you want, but 5 days of cardio and 3 days of weight lifting should suffice. Also, when lifting weights, alternate muscle groups. SO one day focus on a leg circuit, next arms, next back/shoulders etc.

1 hr cardio is also not necessary. A better more strenuous workout in 30-45 mins is sufficient. Examples include increasing speed and/or angle on the treadmill, wearing leg weights when walking, walking on the beach opposed to flat land (just examples).

Thanks for the info... great advice!

Haz is right, don't increase time, increase intensity. You should be sweating like all hell to get a good fat burning workout.

Weight training is important for long term maintenance too. Muscle = increased metabolism. And one thing we do as lapbanders is eat less which in turn can compromise our metabolisms. So cardio is great for weight loss, but muscle is great to keep it off. The sooner you start strength training, obviously, the better your metabolism will be.

Super, thank you both. This is exactly the kind of info I was look for.

What equipments to you have in the garage? Treadmill and bike? Your body needs to be shocked every once in a while. Or our body gets used to the same routine getting the same results.

I suggest your pruchase some light 5lb weights, floor mat, and a resistance band (light). Increase your speed on the treadmill and add incline (to the best of your ability for as long as you can). Interval training is great too because it increases your heart rate while burning fat. Then, do some light weight lifting for toning, muscle mass, and more calorie buring.

Make a schedule for yourself with daily activities. Increase your weights and activities once your feel its getting easy/boring. You want to maintain a good heart rate and feel the burn.

Example:

Mon- Cardio & upper body

Tues- Cardio & lower body

Wed- Cardio & abs

Thurs- rest

Fri- total body (workout video??)

Sat- free day (swimming, walking, yoga, etc..)

Sun- rest