Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to Texas! I have just moved here from Buffalo, N.Y. I am still going through a lot of adjustments. I recently got a surgery date with Dr. Davidson of Dallas. I am both excited and scared at the same time. It is not because of the surgery, but of the fear that I don't have my mind in the right place to be beneficial to the program. I guess I've been on so many diet plans and took the weight off just to put it back on, then some. I am afraid that I will put the weight back on. It is very discouraging to work so hard eating right and exercising just to gain it all back. I lost over 70 lbs. in 2004 before my wedding and have done great unjustice to myself by putting over 100 lbs. on. Talk about discouraging!!I'm looking for encouragement. Also, if anyone has any info on Dr. Davidson could you please respond. Thanks!!! :Banane13:

Welcome to Texas

I was banded 3-15-04 by Dr. Jayaseelan in Dallas. He offers a support group once amonth which has helped my reach my goal. If your doctor does not offer a support group you are always welcome to Dr. Jay's. The reason I was banded was when I went to his seminar and Dr. Jay told me that I would never have to diet again, I knew this was for me. I have lost 110lbs eating ice cream, candy and whatever my heart desires. I just eat alot less. Try to get the diet mentallity out of your mind. Know it's going to be a slow journey and embrace that you should not gain the weight back. If the weight starts to come back, you can get a fill. The wonderful thing about the band is that it is adjustable. You should go into this with a postive mind. If you think it's going to fail and your going to fail, it will and you will. We have been on every diet and this is our last resort, gaining and losing, losing and gaining. That's why most of us have had the band.

DO NOT BE AFRAID. Think of it as your never going to be fat again or gain another pound.

BE POSITIVE There's alot of support (positive) out there. Enjoy the journey.

Be careful and be well informed. I was banded in April and I am going for my first fill on Tuesday. The days since the surgery have not been easy in any respect. Not everyone can eat whetever they want and your head does have to be in the right place. The statistics for permanent weight loss with the band do not support 100% loss of excess weight. It is easy to, and I mean easy, to restretch the stomach above the band and eat more than you should. I am already seeing my capacity grow, cinching will help for awhile but anyone who continues to overeat the pouch will stretch the stomach. Feeling full for one meal will not prevent you from grazing all day long, either. You have to be able to restrict yourself to three small meals a day and lets be honest, if we could do that we wouldn't need surgery would we? All I'm saying is, go into this with your eyes wide open. Before the surgery, start working on your head. The diet following the surgery is difficult and it's basically practice for your first cinching. I know myself better now since the surgery, I think about food all the time! That has not changed. I have lost 12 pounds since the sugery (4/4/06) and it has been a daily struggle to eat right and excercise and I have not always been successful, these are struggles I've always had, they didn't go away. I am a registered nurse, I've looked at the device's manfacturer's pamphlet and the statistics aren't astounding. You still have to get your head in the right place. Start hypnotherapy, start some kind of behavioral therapy to asst you in your journey. The lapband is a weight loss tool, not a miracle cure for obesity.