Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

still see a fat person in mirror

Hi Everyone, I've lost 90 pounds and am within 5 pounds of goal (although I think once I get there it will become another 10 to lose). I am down from a size 22 to an easy size 8, it would probably be a 6 except for my flab. Sometimes if I catch a glimpse of myself in window reflection or a mirror without expecting it I look around for the slender person behind me. I seriously don't recognize myself. But, and here's the but, if I am at home and look at myself I still see someone fat. Not obese, but a big, fat, body. I know it can't be true because of the size I'm wearing. People tell me how good I look, and I always say something like "well, in 10 pounds maybe". How long till your brain catches up with your body? Seriously flawed right now in a funny way- when I was fat I saw chunky, now I'm not and I see someone fatter than before. Talk about messed up! Anyone else experience anything like this? Annie

Hi Everyone' date=' I've lost 90 pounds and am within 5 pounds of goal (although I think once I get there it will become another 10 to lose). I am down from a size 22 to an easy size 8, it would probably be a 6 except for my flab. Sometimes if I catch a glimpse of myself in window reflection or a mirror without expecting it I look around for the slender person behind me. I seriously don't recognize myself. But, and here's the but, if I am at home and look at myself I still see someone fat. Not obese, but a big, fat, body. I know it can't be true because of the size I'm wearing. People tell me how good I look, and I always say something like "well, in 10 pounds maybe". How long till your brain catches up with your body? Seriously flawed right now in a funny way- when I was fat I saw chunky, now I'm not and I see someone fatter than before. Talk about messed up! Anyone else experience anything like this? Annie[/quote']

Yes, I've lost half your weight (55 lbs) my starting weight was 267, yet, I feel like I look the same when I look the same in the mirror. I guess it's psychological but unless I see myself in pictures I really don't see any change in me. I'm in a smaller size but it hasn't made me think I'm thinner. I still see "fat" me! Pants are falling off of me but to me I still look the same. So I feel for you. Hang in there and embrace the new you (at least I'm trying ).

Me too! And I have been around 8 or 10 for 2 1/2 years, still see a fat lady! I say wow, she is thin, and my husband will say, well your butt is about the same! Hah!

We are our own worst critics. Even after losing 200+ pounds I still cope with it as well. I go through various stages of "This is not good enough'. I have been pondering for sometime to seek out the Counselor at the Weight Center. I think there are a lot of psychological issues going on in there. It doesn't hurt to talk to someone.

Oh indeed. I am in the same boat. Started 250 size 20/22 to 151 size 6 and XS shirt.

So a couple things to remember..as you shrink you lose weight in diff places and unfortunately at times the wrong places. An example, 10 lbs ago I still had breasts..now I dont know..they fell off or something lol. But the problem is, my waist looked much smaller w/ them than w/out them. So its a proportion distortion game. Try to focus on what changed to give you the impression that something looks big. (Also factor in heavy meals, bloating, TOM which is more obvious at thinner weights)

Next, skin folds. Not sure if you have them, but I do. This excess skin feels and looks like fat. And despite a very tight and expensive body shaper..it still unveils itself. So it's like before, the hiding game... You wouldn't think being in the single digits that you would still deal w/ this. I am getting cosm. surgery because I know this is not all psychological. Rather I would feel like this for an eternity because I have a very real physical barrier that is making me realize Im thin <I choke on that word everytime I say it.

Lastly, numbers are indeed just that. We all have a goal..but is it our real goal? Having never been thin in my entire life, I would have no idea what is my ideal weight. I used BMI as a good target. And I'm normal and would like to be BMI 22 (145 lb) for an ideal BMI. But its not until you are sitting at goal can you reevaluate whether that's what you want to be. And its ok to want a new goal (as long as its in healthy range). 10 lbs does wonders as we all know. Some of us dip in underweight figures just to realize that is NOT our goal and we gain back to a healthier weight range.

I won't even comment on the side comments. Sometimes you hear perfect, dont loose another inch...just for another person to say you look good, keep it up. Or hubby saying you could lose 10 more I think. It really messes with your head. There are days I can say I feel perfect, than the next my jeans dont fit right and Im a fatty all over again.

What irks me is that when you are thin, if you gain 5 lbs its super obvious. I couldnt believe how much bigger I looked and felt when I gained 5 lbs. What a great motivator to lose the weight but just remember these shifts will have bigger effects on us now.

You look great :)

I'm a size 4-6. I still have many days where I see a fat girl in the mirror. I was one of those who actually lost to a point of being too thin and have since committed to staying healthy instead of thin.

Now don't get me wrong, long past are the days where I would pick up clothes FAR too big for me at the shops. I know what size I am. Where I used to hang my shirts up and think 'omg they're so small', these days they look 'normal' sized to me, so I wonder if I'm too heavy again often.

Your head can be your worst enemy. I still struggle with mine.

Thanks for all the positive thoughts! It is so odd how our head plays games with us for sure! I am hoping to have surgery, if insurance will cover it, because I'm running so much and no matter what I do I keep getting awful rashes. That might help how I view my belly. One super positive note is that when I went to finally buy some new clothes I started at a 12, too big. Went and got a 10, still too big. At that point one of the women working there started teasing me about no knowing my real size. When I told her how much I had lost she and the other woman working made it their job to be my personal dressers. I bought over $550 dollars worth of clothes, and between coupons, and employee discounts they got it down to $200 for me! They were wonderful, and have a new customer for life!

Woohoo! farmgirl04! I like the results that you got from your ladies at the store. That in itself is a great NSV!!!!!