Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I in the red zone or green zone?

I've been struggling to get to the green zone because I've never really felt restriction - until 2 months ago when I locked up and had to get some taken out (during that time I couldn't even swallow my own spit...I know gross). Since then I've learned the errors of my ways so to speak and had two more fills, my last fill on 8/5/13. For the first time I felt restriction, something that's new to me however on Saturday I got stuck and threw up. I went on liquids for 2 days and slowly started mushies on this Tuesday but I can only take little sips of Water and have to wait till those go down and the little food I've eaten is only like 2 or 3 bites of my meal and then if I try anything more than that I feel close to being stuck and on the edge of throwing up. Also for the past 3 days I've had heartburn, primarily at night. Since I've never really felt good restriction is this what it feels like? Are you only able to take baby sips of water? Only able to eat maybe 3 bites of food? I've lost about 6 pounds since my fill on 8/5/13 which is my first real success and I'm scared to have some taken out. Is this normal, am I in the green zone or red zone?

It is a fine line...a true balancing act between being too tight and eating improperly....can be very hard to work out....

The way I eat now, including what I eat and what I no longer eat, how slow I eat and how little I eat per day....I could never have thought possible before having this surgery....and yet I don't even think about it that much anymore...it has became the new normal for me.....my last fill was over 2 years ago...

The first part of your post you say you thought you were too tight, got some removed, then subsequently had 2 more fills after that...so you know what I mean....getting the absolute "Sweet Spot" where there is no hunger, have good Portion Control, etc, etc, can be a real "Balancing Act" that IMO, many do not always find....for me, that was the only ting about this surgery I found hard...getting everything properly in balance.....and it took months!

It sounds like you may have gone to "red", but if you can get even, .1 or .2 cc backed off, you will probably be "green". As b-52 says, it is a fine line. I had .1 cc taken out and what a difference it made in me how and what I was able to eat. Best wishes

For me, personally, that would be too tight. I need to be able to drink Water normally and eat about 2-3 oz. of solid Protein and a half to one cup of veggies at a meal. 2-3 bites just won't do it. I have been there. That leads to grazing for me, which causes me to consume more junk food type foods and more calories. When I can eat a fuller meal I feel satisfied longer and don't think of food in between.

I agree. It sure sounds like you are too tight again. You should be able to drink and eat but stay feeling full for 3-4 hours. Being too tight will only work for a short time before you start doing more damage than good.

Here's the unfortunate part of the band..you get a fill and it starts out tight..than with time it slacks off. So we all juggle with the, will it loosen up in a couple days, maybe a week in which you would be at that perfect green spot. However, if you are having symptoms of pain and are unable to eat/drink adequately time is not on your side. Best thing to do is get partial unfill. It is amazing how only 0.1cc can do the trick.

Side note to newbies: I hope noone gets the impression that (figurative numbers here>>>) if you are at 3.5 and feel nothing that suddenly 3.6cc will be your magic bullet (green). Typically an overfill is what brings you over your threshold. For instance say you were at 3cc and your doc gives you 2 more=5cc. Now from partial restriction you are too tight. After taking let's say 0.5cc out of the band you are at green. It's because he overshot your green zone without knowing. This is why unfills are essential because it's not an exact science or number you have to feel your way to it. Also understand that as you get closer to green your fills will be substantially smaller. We typically start with 3cc fills, than 2, than 1s but right now I get 0.1-0.3cc fills to tighten me up once a year at most. Hope this helps :)