Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for Expert Guidance and Wisdon

I am 2 weeks post-op. I have tried drinking the Protein Shakes as prescribed. I have tried about 10 different kinds and all have the same effect. I have been in to see the doc (Monday) and he told me to get my water/Crystal Light since I can stomach those. I am looking for some help. I am at the liquid stage and not supposed to eat anything as of yet. I can't even do Jello. I have been in bed for these two weeks with limited/very short outings because I have no energy. Any brilliant insight you can bestow upon me? I am having tons of trouble finding my smile right now. Looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks.

Try some gaterade and chewable Centrum Vitamins. Get you a milk shake. Sonic has some great drinks. Try some cream type Soups. Fudgecicles or popcicles. There are alot of liquids beyond Protein shakes. You need to get up and move, laying around causes you to have less energy and feel depressed. Try to drink something every 2 hours or as needed. These first 6 weeks are for healing so don't think about dieting.

3-15-04

-110lbs goal

liquids = anything you can get through a straw. Soups, broths and btw, Jello is nothing but liquid, either.. I question the idea that you can't have that. Definitely try to get in Protein, but most importantly DO NOT get dehydrated. You'll find warm liquids make you feel like you've had something more substantial. I loved Chai Tea with High Protein Milk. At 2 weeks out you are not able to move into mushy foods??

They make these things called New whey Protein liquid in little vials. There is 25 g of clear Protein in the vial. It tastes like fruit punch Jello and it only about 3 sips. You can order it at www.bariatriceating.com but you might want to Google it because I think it may be cheaper elsewhere. But it is yummy when I couldn't stomach any more Protein drinks. Also on that website are AchievOne that taste just like a bottled Frappuccino but has 20g protein. NO icky protein taste AT ALL.

:Banane13: Kristin

You can also try some Isopure drinks. They are clear, fruity flavored, and have lots of Protein to give you energy. Also, try drinking liquid Jello. Basically you can let it cool off, but not solidify, and drink it up. I used to love drinking jello when i was a kid. I could never wait for it to thicken LOL Try to get protein energy rather than caffine or sugar energy. That will be healthier for you. You are more than likely tired because you cannot stomach much food, and you are healing with no food intake. Your body is working overtime.

Yes get out of bed it does nothing for you but take you down deeper. I am four weeks post op and I was there to until I dragged myself out and then the world got better, things went down easier also, the exercise did it for me.

I made good Soups with plenty of carbs and Protein in them and liquified them, watered them down with stock or tinned tomatoes. I had runny yogurt, fruit juice, V8 juice, fruit smoothies with yogurt added, but I never touched one single Protein shake. Yuck, they arent food they're a chemical concoction that I'd maybe consider eating if I were in space and that was all that was available.

If you dont like them or they have a bad effect on you you dont have to have them. There's plenty of other things.

On my second week post-op I was already doing mushy/puree foods.

I had all sorts of Soup and broth - the idea was to boil together different veggies (even with meat and fish in it) and then everything into the blender with a tablespoon of olive oil, and it felt great!!! lots of energy from there, no need for any chemical stuff (every 4 or 5 months interval I do some Centrum tablets).

Try also some fruit shakes and natural juices (orange, grapefruit - lots of Vit.C is good for energy).

Hope you'll feel better soon,

niki

I think what Jack was thinking of is kefir?? Never tried it but we used to sell it when I worked at a health food store many years ago. Supposed to be really good for you.

I can't imagine why your doc says you can't have Jello, but there are all kinds of liquids including blended up Soups that have lots of nutrients. Anything that can be sipped through a straw was the definition of "liquids" that I was given. (Not that you should actually sip them through a straw...that was just to give you an idea of the consistency that "liquid" encompasses.)

Good luck, and I hope you're soon feeling more like your normal self!

Emily

Thanks for all of your insight. This is the best website I have found to have questions answered by the people who have actually done this. Thanks again and best wishes in meeting your goals.

Isopure and gatorade: diluted with Water are what got me through the liquid period. Also my hubby boiled chicken and I sipped the broth. The best. You need the protien to get energy. Make a meal of the boullion, and sip the Isopure and gatorade diluted and you will gain back some of your energy.

Have you tried Slimfast shakes? ? Just the regular slimfast Optima shakes have 13 grams of Protein and they really do help control hunger.. The Rich chocolate Royale is REALLY good. I drank those when i was on liquids and now that I am on solids I eat cottage cheese.. it has like 15 grams per serving.. I am supposed to do 50grams a day. So between cottage cheese twice a day and regular food I dont have to do added protien powder

I find that warm to hot liquids are the best at relaxing the stoma and letting the nutrition go by, The cold yogurts and Proteins are OK for me if I let the chill go off, but to be honest there is nothing like homemade chicken Soup that I make in the pressure cooker with the whole chicken to get the bone flavoring. I use carrots, celery and onion, salt and a little pepper. I do not eat the veggies at first just the broth. If the broth goes well then I try some carrots and onions, not the celery strings. I know they suggest eating proteins first but the chicken sometimes gives people trouble. The pressure cooker really leaches the nutrition from all ingredients so the broth is really good for you. Best wishes!