Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

unexpected news

Hi Friends. As many of you know, I had lapband surgery to get ready for knee replacement. I did so well that I am 6 months ahead of schedule. I saw the surgeon yesterday and was given a diagnosis that I never planned for. It seems my hips are just as bad as both knees and I have to get a bilateral hip replacement before getting my knees done. So...I went from one knee to both hips and both knees needing to be replaced.

Obviously I am very upset and devastated to hear that I've got so much damage. The surgeon insisted I did nothing to bring this on...it's just arthritis and it happens but I know better. If I hadn't gotten so heavy, and hadn't futzed around for three or four years, I might not have gotten this bad.

I'm looking at 3-6 months of recuperation based on doing one or both hips at the same time. We're not even discussing knees right now since the hips are more critical at the moment. I know there are folks on this forum who've had knee and hip replacements. If anyone can offer me some insight into what to expect, I'd be most grateful.

With all that going on, I'm assuming you've had a second or even a third opinion??

am sorry honey

i dont know what else to say except i love ya :(

thanks. I appreciate all your support CG.

I am so sorry to hear this. I need knees but refuse to do them. I'll see what happens when I am much lighter. My hips are good, I think but my back is gone.

​I totally agree about at least one more opinion.

:o Arlene

With all that going on, I'm assuming you've had a second or even a third opinion??

you bet. appointment for second opinion made this afternoon. Both surgeons are heads of their ortho departments at two different hospitals so I know I'm at least dealing with the best.

I am so sorry to hear this. I need knees but refuse to do them. I'll see what happens when I am much lighter. My hips are good, I think but my back is gone.

​I totally agree about at least one more opinion.

:o Arlene

I was hoping for the same Arlene...but 80 lbs down and no change..in fact, the pain was worse. which was why I gave up and went to the surgeon. After looking at my xrays and MRI, he was surprised that I could walk at all. I'm shot full of cortisone right now so I'm feeling much better but I know it's just masking the pain, and is a stop gap measure only.

I was hoping for the same Arlene...but 80 lbs down and no change..in fact, the pain was worse. which was why I gave up and went to the surgeon. After looking at my xrays and MRI, he was surprised that I could walk at all. I'm shot full of cortisone right now so I'm feeling much better but I know it's just masking the pain, and is a stop gap measure only.

I am not the best speller but I had the plastic injections that begin with S many years ago. It didn't work for me but my friend had great success.

Oh my gosh!!! :(

I have no wise words of advice as I've never dealt with these issues. All I can say is that I will definitely be keeping you in my prayers. You're a strong lady and I know you'll come through this with flying colors.

((hugs!))

Oh my gosh!!! :(

I have no wise words of advice as I've never dealt with these issues. All I can say is that I will definitely be keeping you in my prayers. You're a strong lady and I know you'll come through this with flying colors.

((hugs!))

thanks Missy. I really appreciate your support. Lot's of good folks on this site and I'm so glad I have gotten to know so many of you.

I am not the best speller but I had the plastic injections that begin with S many years ago. It didn't work for me but my friend had great success.

Synvisc. It was the first thing I tried. No luck....

Wishing you all the best...i also have bad knees and no what a pain it is...good thoughts and wishes coming your way! :)

Thoughts and prayers being sent your way. My body is riddled with osteoarthritis but because of my other ailments was never considered a candidate for knee replacement surgery. The main reason being was my weight and the secondary reason my hemiparesis. I worry about my hips as well so I can imagine your devastation when you found out that your hips had to be replaced. Well, it may take time for you to recover but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Godspeed on your recovery.