Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Support Group Last night

I went to my first support group as the mandatory part of getting started. It was nice to hear all sides but was truly amazed only one person and I work with her had lap band. She looks great and to me looked the best of all color and health wise. They all were obviously pro bypass and tried to say the band does not have much success. I left there even more determined to get the lapband. The dumping sounds horrid and one person asked each one to tell the worst thing in first 30 days that was the worst. Just about all of them said it was pain and wondering what have I done. No michelle, (lap bander) said her worst thing was the hunger until she got to go on to mushies. Yes some pain with the port but not unbearable!!! I wish they had an exclusively lap band support group but oh well, I have these boards!!!

ME too! I suggested, in our area to have a lapband support group. Not many of us are around, in my city.

Anyway, when I went to my first "support" meeting, it wasn't greatly supportive. I was the only bandster, at the meeting, and a few were quite judgemental about the band. Who are they to talk? I support anyone who tries to take control of their weight.

Shawn

I hear alot about those mixed groups and how it's kind of a "my surgery is better than your surgery" mentality. I think there are benefits to having a support group at all, but that it would be more beneficial to have separate groups for the different surgery types.

i am surprised, really, that support groups get mixed. I mean, I understand that there aren't many bandsters out there, but comon! The band and the bypass surgery are so totally different, have different healing times, and different complications

I've only been to the mandatory one...mostly I get my support and information from all of you! It's much more specific and helpful since we're all bandsters. My surgeon has a monthly support group meeting but it's 3 hours away so I can't get there and be fit for work the next day.

But I have had people that I've told about my surgery seem surprised that I look healthy and comfortable...they are used to the bypass patients that aren't!

Emily

i am having the hardest time explaining to people that the band is not the same as the bypass. people hear i am going to have bypass, and they freak out! Telling me no, you'll become anemic, you'll lose all your teeth and hair and have osteoperosis, and really bad breath LOL my mother in law esp is a tough one to explain this too. she is 77. she has had three friends die from bypass. She is scared to death that I am going to die.

My mandatory support meeting is a behavior modification group. It goes for 6 weeks. It is ok and it does have both. The moderator started off by stating no "my surgery is better than your surgery" type stuff. I do have to say I have gotten more solid information, facts and just plain old fashioned advice from LBT. It is really a blessing.

The last place we should be judged is a "support group" for pete sakes!! You know, I think we are pioneers of sorts in getting the lap band although they've been doing them for quite some time. I had to attend support groups as well and every time was the only band person there. I had a positive experience and wasn't judge in my groups, but it happens all too often. I think once enough people get the band, we will start seeing more support groups for lap band only. LBT has been more helpful to me than any physical support group.

Here's a thread from awhile back that you may find helpful discussing this topic. http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=16340 I found out that the Bariatric Center at St. Vincent's will consider lap band only groups if they have enough participation. I plan to share my voice and support for such a group. Step up and talk to your surgeon or whomever about it to see if you can be instrumental in starting a group in your area. This is much needed!!

ya know, it only takes 2 to support each other LOL I think the idea of "enough participation" is crazy. Its like the whole If you build it they will come theory. Start the group, and bandsters will come out of the woodwork!!