Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am having a hard time trying to decide which procedure to undergo.

Maybe I have been researching and investigating so much that it has confused me. I want to do my homework before I get to my first appointment with the team. I want to be able to get as much information from them as possible.

I meet with the paychologist on Monday and completed around 800-900 questions eval, no lie. It was not what I expected to tell the truth. I will meet with him in two weeks to discuss the eval results. My appt with the team is on August 28.

I need your support or comments in regards to the lap band vs sleeve. I know the doctor's have the final say. But what are the things/reasons why you choose the lap band vs any other procedure? I just want to make the right decision. I want to be healthy and happy. Regret is not an option for me.

Thanks in advance.

I chose the band and my surgeon was in full agreement with me. I had been told she would not, but she took into account that I had already lost 176 pounds and had healthy eating and living styles at this point, I just needed something extra to help me reach my goal and maintain it. Had she advised other avenues such as the sleeve or bypass, I would have had to think long and hard. The fact that those 2 procedures work on malabsorption is scary to me. Also the fact that the band is reversible should problems arise was one other thing that factored in for me. I have a friend who had the sleeve done about 18 months ago, she is much younger than me and she has lost the weight but she has also lost her youthful look. Was this caused by he malabsortion part of this surgery one never knows. I have lost about 100 pounds more than her and I am 13 years older and I look younger than her? But than again it could just be genetics? One never knows. I'm sure you will make the right decision. Go to support groups for the different procedures and than you can talk with others who have had it done. I did, and it was very helpful. Blessings to you!

I chose the band for all the reasons stated above. However, if I had known how things were going to go for me, I would have gone with the sleeve. Since January 31, 2012, I've had two surgeries, spent two (separate) days in the ER, three overnights in the hospital (not including the original surgery which was outpatient, had several barium swallow tests, and more fills and unfills than I can remember.

I'm not saying this to discourage you from the band. If the band was my only wls option, I would do it all over again, even with what I've been through.

However, I wish I had done more research into the sleeve. I had a friend that had sleeve surgery in January of this year and with the exception of the first couple of days right after surgery, she's had a much, much easier time than I have -- and has lost more weight than I have, too.