Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can to many adjustments cause a port flip?

I was a year post op when I found out my port had flipped, however back in March the NP that does my fills said that to many fills would cause port problems. So....I didn't go back until late June/early July. Found out then my port was flipped. I have three questions....

1) If the band can only be filled so many times, than why only fill a .5cc at a time?

2) What causes port flips...did I do to much?

3) I have read a lot on the boards and discovered that most people do not have success after revision...please posts any positive results after revision!

Thanks of answer my questions!

1) If the band can only be filled so many times, than why only fill a .5cc at a time?

There is no limit on the amount of times a band can be filled and unfilled. The port is stitched to the abdominal wall.

2) What causes port flips...did I do to much?

It's highly unlikely you caused it unless you took a hit to the stomach or injured it in some other way. Sometimes, it just happens. It's not your fault.

3) I have read a lot on the boards and discovered that most people do not have success after revision...please posts any positive results after revision!

Revision is band revision, not just port flips. They're very different. However, a port that flips once has a higher risk of future flips (though the risks are still low).

Most of the time, a port flip is fixed pretty easily and the person does fine after. You can read many stories of port flips here on the forums with good outcomes.

My port flipped three months post op. It was discovered at my second fill, first fill was 2cc, with nothing in my band at surgery.

Dr told me port flips are pretty rare. I being only his second after hundreds of surgeries. He also stated that it was nothing I did, just a freak thing. He said, "you get more tubing leaks than flips".

The revision surgery was very easy and have had no problems since.

I'm very happy with everything so far.

I do not see how fills have anything to do with the port....other than it's an injection site...unless she meant that the pressure from the nnedle pushes it around, but it is supposed to be anchored to the abdominal wall....

I've been filled and unfilled so many times during the last year and a half that I've completely lost count. The only part of my band I haven't had a problem with is my port. I hope I didn't just jinx things :o

Thank you for your input. I am having revision in the morning. Praying that I can do this!

My port flipped 4 months after surgery. Mine flipped because of trying to sleep on my stomach. It was a simple day surgery fix and I am having no problems with my port.

My doctor is conservative with his fills but I'm OK with that. I hope you have no problems but as you can read from this forum results vary, most have a positive feedback. Wishing you well.