Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fill # one....Any tips? What shoudl I expect??

Banded 6.21.13 - first fill is Monday am.

What shall I expect and how long do most stay on liquids?

#firstfill and #afraid

Fills are nothing to fear, it's no worse than any other shot you've gotten in your life. However, do follow doctor's orders - liquids for 2 days then mushies on day 3. You'll feel like you can eat solids and it might not bother you at first, but this will affect the band in the long run. My first fill was no big deal, but the second was a doozie in terms of being tight.

I begin with the usual disclaimer that each lap band patient an doctor are different....my doc is on the conservative side and his philosophy is to err on the underfill side vs too tight. My experience was a breeze - liquids the day of the fill, then soft foods the next two days, then back to regular diet.

My doc uses the flouroscope for each fill, so they can get a visual on the band to make sure there is no slipping, also when you drink the contrast material, they can make sure it is flowing through the band and you are not too tight. Be sure to drink a little Water before you leave the office - you should not have trouble drinking Water - if you too the band may be to tight....

My experience was that I felt more satisfied with smaller portions the first week and one half, but am finding that feeling has subsided and I could eat larger portions if I wanted...this is completely normal for your first few fills, until you are in the "green zone".

As I stated earlier, my doc is conservative when it comes to fills, so your experience may slightly be different. But overall I found the experience to be a breeze, and am looking forward to my next fill on August 10th.

My Doc just had me on liquids along Protein shake for 24 hours then I was on my own to eat/drink normally. Like Rob said most Docs have their own methods and rules. Like Rob I drink Water before leaving the office after a fill because if you can't get Water down then nothing is going to go down. My Doc believes in slow and steady as well. You want to ease into that green zone rather then being overly aggressive and end up too tight then having Fluid removed just to start all over again looking for that green zone. Took me about 5 months to find the zone and then one little fill after that and it was game on.

BTW the needle can look scary compared to most needles but it does not hurt. I have had blood drawn that was more painful then a fill. If you do not like needles I suggest you close your eyes and not watch.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the great replys! This website is SO helpfull!! I wouldn;t want to do it without all the positive input! ;)

First fill was a breeze. My B-12 shots hurt MUCH worst. the nurse was very informative through the entire check up and process.

BroRob - I actually have my post in the top portion of my shoulder, so ti is very easy access. I'm guessing tha's how we roll in South Georgia!! LOL!

Liquids for 3 days...and then slowly back to normal. YAY!!

Have a great week everyone!