Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all,

I'm booked for my band Aug 25th in missisaga ont. so I haven't started the pro-op liquid diet yet.

I'm feeling really nervous, I'm not nervous about the surgery it's self but I'm nervous about spending this amount if money then possibly failing.

Is there anyone being banded at the same time or near my date. I would love to make a friend that could be my accountability partner.

I'm a single 32 year old woman and I live alone, I need someone that will help me keep on track.

Thanks I'm also open to any advice.

Hello from Calgary!

Congrats on your decision to get the band. These pre-surgery jitters are normal. But the only advice I can give you is to transfer the energy you are putting into worrying into actions that will help you succeed:

1. Reinforce positive thinking. Don't focus on what if's. Focus on telling yourself you are going to succeed. Focus on life after success. What changes will you make? How will life be different once you reach goal? These motivate the subconscious into realizing a new reality not reinforcing the one that already exists.

2. Get ready for change. Get out and start buying all the essentials. Whether it's shakes/food, new plateware etc start replacing your pantry now to prepare yourself for surgery and life thereafter. These visual changes in your environment will start to change other actions (mentality, eating habits etc).

3. Setup a reward system. Some of us fail because our goals are either to lofty or our expectations are insensible. Start writing down your short term goals (ie lose 10 lbs) and what will your nonfood reward be for achieving the goal. If you have the $, one of my fav things that I did was buy a shirt one, two and three sizes smaller than your current size. Seems silly in the beginning, but once you get your wl momentum going you'll be looking forward to getting to a new size. Having those clothes right there in your closet is another visual reminder and incentive to stay strong. The reward is huge and an instant gratifier. Just be sure not to buy too many things of any one size because you'll be flying through them

4. Giver yourself permission to understand this is a process. There is no 100% fail or succeed in the band. I presume you carried weight a long time. It's insensible to think you'll lose it overnight. When you take the pressure off, you are more apt to succeed. Do some introspection as to why you feel you are overweight. Start making secondary goals on top of just wl. Like, stopping late night snacking, or mindless eating and make a conscience effort to rid those habits for good. Those are just as important to tackle for long term success. But again, its not an overnight one time effort. Make subtle changes. Embrace how good it feels. Recognize how the changes positively effect you. Continue to reinforce those changes and just embrace getting healthy.

Weight management is like a mental& physical puzzle. You need to put all the pieces together to reveal the end picture. This is not like any diet you've been on. All those things that seemed impossible before (smaller portions, calorie control etc) will suddenly seem doable because you have a tool that can help you in the areas that are usually our biggest obstacles. It's not possible to really appreciate the difference between diets adn the band until you actually have one. So don't overly focus on the what ifs.

Having buddies is great, we all need the support. But please find a mentor who is an 'oldie'. Rapid wl in the first year is typical but does not speak for experience. Hook up with someone who has been banded for years and can guide you through all the stages of having the band.

Hi, I'm Amy, also 32 and getting banded Aug 26th. I'd be happy to be accountability buddies. I like the advice to focus on getting ready. I've already been practicing eating slower and chewing my food more thoroughly. Also trying to get my exercise routine established, and I'm planning to start trying Protein Shakes to find a couple I can tolerate. I recently discovered that Vitamin cottage sells single serving packets.

Hello from Calgary!

Congrats on your decision to get the band. These pre-surgery jitters are normal. But the only advice I can give you is to transfer the energy you are putting into worrying into actions that will help you succeed:

1. Reinforce positive thinking. Don't focus on what if's. Focus on telling yourself you are going to succeed. Focus on life after success. What changes will you make? How will life be different once you reach goal? These motivate the subconscious into realizing a new reality not reinforcing the one that already exists.

2. Get ready for change. Get out and start buying all the essentials. Whether it's shakes/food' date=' new plateware etc start replacing your pantry now to prepare yourself for surgery and life thereafter. These visual changes in your environment will start to change other actions (mentality, eating habits etc).

3. Setup a reward system. Some of us fail because our goals are either to lofty or our expectations are insensible. Start writing down your short term goals (ie lose 10 lbs) and what will your nonfood reward be for achieving the goal. If you have the , one of my fav things that I did was buy a shirt one, two and three sizes smaller than your current size. Seems silly in the beginning, but once you get your wl momentum going you'll be looking forward to getting to a new size. Having those clothes right there in your closet is another visual reminder and incentive to stay strong. The reward is huge and an instant gratifier. Just be sure not to buy too many things of any one size because you'll be flying through them

4. Giver yourself permission to understand this is a process. There is no 100% fail or succeed in the band. I presume you carried weight a long time. It's insensible to think you'll lose it overnight. When you take the pressure off, you are more apt to succeed. Do some introspection as to why you feel you are overweight. Start making secondary goals on top of just wl. Like, stopping late night snacking, or mindless eating and make a conscience effort to rid those habits for good. Those are just as important to tackle for long term success. But again, its not an overnight one time effort. Make subtle changes. Embrace how good it feels. Recognize how the changes positively effect you. Continue to reinforce those changes and just embrace getting healthy.

Weight management is like a mental& physical puzzle. You need to put all the pieces together to reveal the end picture. This is not like any diet you've been on. All those things that seemed impossible before (smaller portions, calorie control etc) will suddenly seem doable because you have a tool that can help you in the areas that are usually our biggest obstacles. It's not possible to really appreciate the difference between diets adn the band until you actually have one. So don't overly focus on the what ifs.

Having buddies is great, we all need the support. But please find a mentor who is an 'oldie'. Rapid wl in the first year is typical but does not speak for experience. Hook up with someone who has been banded for years and can guide you through all the stages of having the band.[/quote']

Wow that is such great advise. When were you banded and how are you doing? Where did you have yours done?