Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's The Real Deal On Portions?

Is it possible somebody can create a poll to see what portion size everyone is eating and how much they are losing? I have two inquiries:

1. My dr. was not specificic about portion sizes, just told me to keep doing whatever I'm doing (at the time I was on liquids and he encouraged me to continue after my 4 weeks since I was doing well) and to keep my calories low (too low like 500-600). Portions seems to be a hot debate, some saying 1/2 cup a meal others saying a cup. HELP! What is the ideal bandster portion?

2. I am 6 weeks post-op and have yet to be filled. I currently eat about 1 cup - 1 1/2 cup per meal (3x a day). I do the 3-4oz of Protein first (which fits into my 4oz containers) and then I eat anywhere from a cup to a cup and a half of salad (no lettuce, I have diced up parsley, cilantro, tomatoes, and cucumbers).

My weight has slowed down the last two weeks (-1lb 5th wk -2lb 6th wk) but that could be due to many reasons (just introduced solids after 4 weeks of liquids and have been walking 2-3 miles a day for a week now), or it could be my portions (or possibly the spoonfuls of Peanut Butter I snack on :D ).

What is the recommended portions a person with no fill should eat? Should they aim for the same amount as a filled person? My current portions leave me satisfied (I could probably eat more but I only eat what I measured out and stop. I also get 'soft stops' but not the 'hard' ones) and I am losing (just not much but within bandster norms).

So I guess I would like to know, what are good portions before and after adjustments?

Thank you

I just read a similar thread on here, but everyone who chimed in simply noted that they are hungry and in need of a fill. I am looking for what your docs have recommended and/or what is working for you.

My "lapband owners manual" handed out by my doc says to aim for 1 cup per meal, so that's what I've been doing. However, I think that when I get a bit more restriction that will decrease...but I don't know for sure.

Emily

My doc says nothing about portions, but what he does stress every time I'm there is to eat low carb... almost Atkins like. Protein and veggies and he keeps yelling ooops I mean telling me that I need to Exercise!!! So basically he's not saying anything i don't know... I just have to do what he says lol.

As far as weight loss, they expect 1 - 2 lbs a week. They do not expect patients to lose like a gastric bypass patient. Slow and steady.

I had 0 restriction before my fills, and i could eat a hero sandwich with no problem. When I told my doc, he didn't flinch, he said just to keep up doing what i was doing... I was confused.

Portions really depend on your restriction IMHO... one size does not fit all, some can eat 1/2 cup, some can eat 1 1/2 cups... some more. So pay attention to your tummy and go from there.

Hope this helps.

My nutritionist says 3-4 oz of protien...and then 2 oz of vegtable or side if room. I think my nutritionist is a bit strick though...as I am suppouse to eat less than 20 grams of fat a day and sugar should be less than 12 grams for each serving. I'm suppouse to eat between 800-1000 calories. My diet I get through the nutritionist isthe same diet she has the RNY patients follow. It has left me frustrated more than once trying to meet all the standards.

Lapbanders have great variation! They are told one thing by their surgeon, lapbanders friends, and nutritionist. No wonder it's confusing!!!

This is what I've found:

1) Some nutritionists, like mine, treated gastric bypass the same as lapbanders. I supposed nutrition is nutrition, but we do have differences in our tolerance, capacities, and expected weight loss per month.

2) My surgeon says 3 meals a day, no more than 1 1/2 cups at each meal. No calorie counting and exercise 3-4 times per week (I calorie count and have slacked on the exercise). If you are hungry between meals and have had Protein first, then you need a fill.

3) I don't like being too tight. If I get the "golf ball" feeling after 2 well-chewed bites, than I am too tight. If I am too tight, then I am not satisfied and end up grabbing the junk, which goes down really well.

Plus, being too tight is miserable.

It sounds like you are doing really well. Shawn

My Dr. also wants us to avoid bad carbs... we should all be doing that and I don't care what you think... but sugars and refined flour is why we are all so darn big in the first place. Keep on eating it, and it will continue to make you big :)

That being said. When I sit down to eat a meal, I start with my Protein, then I eat some veggies and if I have room I "MIGHT" have a bite of potatoes, but I would rather save the small amount of room that I have for more yummy stuff that works well with my band. (fish) yummy!

I typically eat 1/2 cup of food at a meal. Sometimes more... but usually not. I do not eat 3 meals a day... I eat when my stomach is growling and I am actually hungry. If I try to eat when I am not physically hungry, the food WILL NOT go down for me.

Hope this helps you some.

I wasn't given alot of instruction on portions, and I don't have a nutritionist.

I also don't portion anything out, other than to know how many calories are in it. I try to stay around 1300 calories, hopefully a little less, sometimes a little more.

Last night I snacked on a big bowl of green Beans. It was probably about 2 cups worth and 70 calories. I don't want to think about how many calories are in 2 cups of ice cream. I had around 1430 calories yesterday which is really higher than I'd like to go, but alot better than days when I don't count, I know. :)

Kabeerah,

My doc or dietician did not specify certain portions that I should limit myself to. Their recomendations were 3-4 oz of solid Protein FIRST, then about a half cup of veggies, then carbs if there's room.

What they look for when one of their patient's needs a fill is that they are following the above recommendations, exercising, getting Water in and following other bandster rules such as not drinking with meals. IF they are doing that and are feeling satisfied (not hungry) for at least 3 hours, then they are eating enough and have adequate restriction. They like to see the 1-2 lb weight loss per week and if that has stalled, these are the first things they look at before resorting to fills. They want to make sure their patients are not relying 100% on the band to do the work, that the patient is participating and making an effort.

The reason I got into all of that is because if you're eating the 1-1/2 cup per meal for 3 meals a day, that sounds about right. If you're feeling satisfied on that for at least 3 hours, that would be a good thing. As long as you're not feeling "overstuffed" with what you're eating, it sounds like you're eating correct portions. As you get fills, those portions may decrease because it takes longer for the food to pass and therefore you get fuller faster on a smaller amount.

It also sounds to me as though you're getting a little down on yourself for your weight loss "slowing down". 1-2 lb weight loss per week is great. It's what's recommended and expected for bandsters who are "on track" so to speak. I think you're obsessing a little over the portions. As long as you feel good, are losing weight and following the rules you should do fine.

I wasnt given guidelines on portions, my doc's idea being that you eat when you're hungry until you're not hungry being the goal.

Which is pretty much what I do, so I never feel deprived. I've lost 20kgs with no dramas, however I've lost only about 1kg in the last month, and I feel I'm eating a bit more than I was a month ago, so I need another fill. That's about as detailed as I get when measuring, I'm not filling myself to achieve a goal "portion" but to achieve a state where eating to satsifaction leads to weight loss.

At the moment, I can eat about as much as an adult "small" eater. Nobody would notice I wasnt eating a lot. I had a small bowl of Cereal and a tub of yogurt for Breakfast, that makes me full, I can eat a sandwich and a piece of fruit for lunch, that makes me full. I can eat a smaller dinner, I seem to be tighter in the evening, a piece of fish or chicken about the size of a casette tape and some salad or half a plate of steamed veges will do me. However I also tend to have a little something in the afternoon - and I can eat quite a bit when I'm out or celebrating something. All this is adding up to not a lot of weight loss at the moment, so I need to have just a teensie bit off that.

My program's recommendation is 2 - 4 oz per meal, but that material is joint with bypass patients and I think is more geared toward them. I generally eat about a cup, sometimes more sometimes less. Right now I don't think my restriction physically keeps me from eating more, but I am no longer hungry after eating that amount. I have had two fills, one was because that's when I was scheduled for and felt I needed it, and another because I found myself able to eat "normal" portions before feeling that I was no longer hungry.

The information I received was for lapband patients only and is as follows:

1. No fast food, fried foods or processed foods (cakes, Cookies, etc.)

2. 1200 calories... 3 meals and 2 Snacks of 100 calories each.

3. For every portion of Protein (6 -8 oz), eat half a portion of veggies (3-4 oz) and half a portion of a starch (3-4 oz) such as Pasta, potato, crackers, etc.

4. Suggestions for Snacks include a tablespoon of Peanut Butter, FF and sugar free pudding, 4 oz yogurt, fruit, etc.

Thanks everyone for your wonderful Responses.

Elisabeth, I learned something new. I often wondered what was a appropriate snack size.

I think the worse thinmg I have eaten is Peanut Butter. It has become my new addition. I think I will stop buyig it so not to tempt myself, because I can never stop at just one T spoon of it!

Peanut butter is one of the foods I stay away from because, like you, I can't stop at a tablespoon. It's too good and goes down too easy. LOL.