Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PRE-OP NEWBIE- Surgery is MONDAY August 3rd! NEED EXPERT ADVICE!

Hi everyone, I'm a 31 female from NY who's been struggling with her weight since childhood. I've tried every diet you can name of. I'm sure we all can relate to it. However, now I have high blood pressure and I'm pre-diabetic, which scares me because my grandfather died from complications from diabetes. I'm so apprehensive because like all other "tools" or diets I've failed. Also, I've seen on here that a lot of people weren't full until they received their first adjustment. That is just too scary! I've lost 11 pounds on the liquid diet for the last 10 days. Basically, I'm asking what did you consume that had enough Protein that kept you full, and also assisted in your weightloss for the first 4-6 weeks? I can't imagine being able to drink my Protein replacement shakes that are 8ounces and have 27grams of protein since, they say you can only sip 2 ounces at once. If you have any tips or foods you suggest, please advise, as I will be going shopping this weekend.

Thanks from your,

SCARED PREOP NEWBIE :(

PS: I heard that sometimes food gets stuck and you should eat a scoop of butter? TRUE OR NOT? :unsure:

[sharedmedia=trackers:tickers:4417]

First of all Monday is August 5, lol You must be nervous....

Relax and follow your Drs plan, you'll do great. Nerves are very normal.

The first 6wks are for healing purposes, not so much weight loss.

The most important thing at this stage is keeping hydrated. Follow your stages.

Once I got to mushies, ff greek yogurt, Protein shakes, mushy black Beans are all high in Protein. I'd make a Taco Soup with ground turkey and lots of Beans and blenderize that add a dollop of ff plain greek yogurt and yummy.

I never heard of thd butter thing and I wouldn't try it.

Best thing is to let it work itself out, imho

After you're stuck, anything you add on top of it only makes it worse.

Good luck!

Hi Live4life - congratulations on your decision to get healthy. I had exactly the same feelings as you and most others on this forum but those fears did not come true. I was sure I'd be hungry all the time and scoffed at the idea that such a tiny portion would never satisfy me. The truth is that the first part can be fairly difficult - it's called Bandster Hell for a reason. It feels just like other diets and techniques but if you keep at it things do get better. Some people don't need a fill to feel satisfied and lose weight but most do. The whole idea of keeping full is something you will need to let go of. It's more about eating slowly and allowing your stomach to realize that it's been fed so it can send the signal to your brain that you've had enough to eat. If I pay attention to that signal I feel satisfied but not stuffed. I have ignored the signal and felt completely stuffed like after Thanksgiving dinner, which is not very comfortable. If I eat too fast or take too big of bite or don't chew enough I get stuck. DO NOT EAT BUTTER IF YOU'RE STUCK. The butter will get stuck too and you'll feel worse. Things to try if you get stuck include a small sip of hot Water, putting your arms up and stretching your tummy, papaya enzyme, walking around, waiting. For me, if it's a bad stuck episode it's worth encouraging it to come back up but if it's not too bad it often goes away on its own. It feels like a golf ball is stuck in your chest so best to try not to get stuck.

I think you should ask your nutritionist about specific foods for each stage. Right after surgery you'll be on liquids (I was told Cream of Wheat acts like a liquid and it helped me with hunger), then progress to mushies, then to solid foods. Follow your doctor's and nutritionist's advice.

Good luck Monday - the surgery is the easiest part!

Keep us posted.

Hi everyone, I'm a 31 female from NY who's been struggling with her weight since childhood. I've tried every diet you can name of. I'm sure we all can relate to it. However, now I have high blood pressure and I'm pre-diabetic, which scares me because my grandfather died from complications from diabetes. I'm so apprehensive because like all other "tools" or diets I've failed. Also, I've seen on here that a lot of people weren't full until they received their first adjustment. That is just too scary! I've lost 11 pounds on the liquid diet for the last 10 days. Basically, I'm asking what did you consume that had enough Protein that kept you full, and also assisted in your weightloss for the first 4-6 weeks? I can't imagine being able to drink my Protein replacement shakes that are 8ounces and have 27grams of protein since, they say you can only sip 2 ounces at once. If you have any tips or foods you suggest, please advise, as I will be going shopping this weekend.

Thanks from your,

SCARED PREOP NEWBIE :(

PS: I heard that sometimes food gets stuck and you should eat a scoop of butter? TRUE OR NOT? :unsure:

I was approved for the surgery BECAUSE I had high blood pressure and pre-diabetes...my BMI was not high enough on it's own, but I knew I needed help.

I am/was mentally prepared for this. I kid you not ...I never feel hungry anymore. (I was banded 3.5 weeks ago) I eat only foods that I am allowed to eat in the correct portion. Full isn't the same feeling it once was. SO....I never eat more than a cup of food. When I am done....I can say...yep...I'm full and usually get a little burpy! So understand....full won't feel the same. Get yourself "right" in the mind for this journey. Follow the plan.....be prepared for the changes. People who say this "never worked for them"....I believe did not eat the right foods, the right portions, didn't time drinking Water correctly around meals! You will do great. BTW...I am already off my high blood pressure meds! Best of luck....Lisa