Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Last supper, lunch, breakfast, snacks and...

So I am on my band journey-going through all the hoops, poking, prodding, blood tests, exercise program, group grope yadda yadda. I hope to have surgery in July.

My program doesn't require a pre-surgery liquid diet-that is a good thing for me. Sort of.

I still have to lose 10% of my weight about 20-30 pounds.

But I am eating my brains out. I keep thinking "I'll never have this again" or "Say goodbye to that". It is insane. I think I am in food mourning. I'd sent lasagna a goodbye bouquet. I would give a going away party for pepperoni pizza. I would take a nice crunchy italian bread out on a break up date. I am headed to Chinatown because I understand dim sum is no sum for me sum. I feel the need to fly south for some bisquits and gravy. I thinking of buying a bottle of Dom Perignon simply because I always wanted to try it and always saved it for some really special occasion. And I know bubbles are not in my future.

Yes I am really committed. Yes I really want the surgery. I just feel like I am getting divorce from food. The divorce is the best thing, I will be happier and healthier but it is a divorce nonetheless.

Anyone else out there go through this? Or am I completely off my rocker?:help:

Yep, gained 20 some odd pounds with it too. So much so that my surgeon who doesn't require a pre op diet said. "I need you to loose some weight before surgery to make the surgery easier for me and you." That really knocked me off my food fest! I started eating sensiably and lost 7lbs before surgery. It really sucked being me. And now I think...If I hadn't of gained that 20lbs, I'd be in onelander now maybe?

O, I definately went on a food fest for the entire summer last year before I was banded in Oct. There are several things I really miss now, but I do not feel deprived because I can still enjoy a lot of things that you would not have on a standard diet, this tool teaches you how to eat in moderation, have the things you love, & be satisfied. I sure do miss pizza, great sandwiches & Diet Coke. O well, losing 80lbs is worth it.

Good luck,

Kim

Boy, do I understand this!! I've gained 15 lbs since Jan....I'm getting my band on May 26th. It wasn't necessary. Just last weekend, I stopped at a little ice cream shop while visiting OH just to have one of my old time burgers. Know what, it didn't taste as good as I remembered and I threw half of it away.

With the help & advice here at LBT, I've learned I will still be able to have most of the foods I have now. That's only head knowledge though. It is a process to change your way of thinking. I'm changing with you. It isn't going to happened quickly for me, but the changes are taking place. Take baby steps and don't expect it all at once. Hang in there and know your not alone!! :D

Thank you both! I hope I hear how some others went through this or maybe they didn't? I need to stop this.

Hey Diva, I'm still pretty new to being banded, but I had some of what you're experiencing. I go for my first fill next tuesday and I'm having the same thoughts. I have a little restriction now, but not much, and not all the time, and I think wow, after next tuesday I won't be able to eat any of this, or that, or maybe just a bite, and I feel a little anxious about it. I think all of my issues with weight have been mental issues. I'm trying to overcome them one at a time. I finish stuff off because somewhere I think I will never get to eat it again. go figure. Even if I've had a pizza night once a week for over 10 years, it's like I'll never get that opportunity. lol. Sometimes just the thought of never having something again, gets me almost panicked. It's a big mental battle. You're not alone!!! Try to understand, that getting banded won't be the end of those thoughts. Hopefully with the band as a tool you will have some support. Good luck!

Sam

I had the same feelings. BUT..... I DO have a few bites of the topping of a pepperoni pizza, a few bites of crunchy bread, had dim sum several times, a bit of lasagna on occasion... And guess what!!!!!! I am totally satisfied with the small amount that I can eat and it tastes wonderful!!!!

So, the moral is: you will probably get to eat just about anything you want, but it may be just a bite or two. I don't feel deprived at all!!! I don't feel like I am on a diet because I CAN eat anything I want. I just have a small amount of those things on occasion. WONDERFUL!!!!

So, get those last meals out of your mind, if you can! Try to lose what you have to before surgery because it does help! You will not struggle right after surgery if you have been eating healthy prior. And the surgery will go better because your liver will probably shrink, making it easier for your surgeon. It is totally worth it!

Me too!!!! I guess it's that, well this is it. I won't be able to have you anymore, so what the hell.... Anyway, you are not alone. I too, am hopefully going to be banded in July. I am trying to get through my "6 months of supervised weight loss program" which by the way, I have to fail at to be able to be approved by my insurance. Doesn't make much sense, does it. Just one more hoop to jump through.

Oh Diva -

I am so there with you - but I had my "Divorce from food" AFTER the surgery and before my first fill.

By the time I went in for that fill, I had actually GAINED a half pound.

I don't know how you can fix the problem prior to surgery. For me, it was the first fill and my fear of the dreaded PB.

I CAN tell you that not only have I not experienced a PB - but I have not had any trouble eating ANY kind of food - even after the 2nd fill.

So - I would tell you that you probably WILL be able to eat your favorites again - just not in such quantity.

Hugs and good luck!

I was a nervous wreck before surgery, ate everything in site and lost 1 lb... my nerves were working over time I guess. I thought I had gained for sure.

So my dear........your not alone. You will be able to eat, don't worry :)(thats easy for me to say NOW lol)

I went through this as well. My emotions ranged from pure fear to a mournful depression. I was so afraid that I wouldn't be able to say goodbye to my comfort... my friends... my food.< /p>

Once on the "other side", I was pleasantly surprised to find that I don't feel deprived or at a loss at all. I can eat a wide variety of foods. There are some that I thought I couldn't live without, that I really couldn't care less about now. There are some that I just plain lost the taste for. And there are some that I do still think about, but I choose not to have them. I am in control now. Noone took away anything from me. In fact, it's quite the opposite. I have been given freedom and a new lease on life!

Your journey starts now. What are you waiting for?? :)

*hugs*

This for me is like when I gave up smoking. I knew I was going to give it up when the cartons I brought back from the Carribbean were gone. I smoked and smoked to the point I was making myself sick. My birthday came before the cigarrets were gone and I thought it was a good time to quit. I did. Cold turkey.

I am so ready for this surgery. My husband and I planned this cruise and I didn't want to do anything to spoil it. It is my last hooray with food. As it gets closer to cruise time I feel myself not so in love with food. I am really getting bored with everything and just want to get on with my new life with the band. My mind is set, but the restriction is not here yet. I spend lots of time on the board reading. I want to stay "pluged in" so I don't fall back to old ways.

Hang in there and remember - the more you gain the more you have to lose once surgery is over. Better to start cutting back now.