Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I have not yet had a lapband procedure, but was wandering how long do you have to be off work after the surgery? I am a custodian at an elementary school and am very active. How will this affect my work? I don't want to miss much work at all.

I have an desk job at a school and definitely needed a whole week off. The first few days back were a little hard because I had no energy from lack of food (IMO). If you can, I would take at least 1.5 weeks off. You have a pretty physical job.

So I have not yet had a lapband procedure, but was wandering how long do you have to be off work after the surgery? I am a custodian at an elementary school and am very active. How will this affect my work? I don't want to miss much work at all.

My doctor said I could go back after one week if a desk job, or 2 weeks if a more physical job. But I'd check with your doctor.

2+ weeks since you'll be active. One of the issues, on top of actual healing, is that you will be transitioning from liquids to solids over the course of months. Most feel like they get insufficient calories/fluids etc and this may be a secondary issue to a physical job (having no energy to do it!). Definitely consult w/ the doc

My friend plan to be off at least 2 weeks. If you are not telling people at work about your surgery it's going to be hard to go back and be able to do all the things you normally do.

Your stitches will take at least 4-6 weeks to heal and close so you want to be careful. You don't want to be lifting things that could cause a hernia where the incisions are or anything else.

I have a desk job and I went back to work after 10 days. While I was feeling great, and was ready to get out of the house, it wasn't the best choice for me. The seat belt in my car and the edge of my desk line up with one of my incisions and it ended up getting infected from being rubbed against and it was uncomfortable for a while and took longer to heal and drained for a week straight. I should have stayed home another week.

My husband is a fire fighter and he had surgery 2 days after me, he was home for the full 6 weeks + until he was able to lift things without injury.

If you have the time take it. If you are able to use FMLA use it, if your job has short term disability or light work apply for it. If you have to tell them you're having surgery tell them it's abdominal surgery they don't need to know it's weight loss surgery it could be anything. Female problem, or gallbladder or anything really. Give yourself the time to heal. You are doing this to make your life healthier, so start off on the right foot and give yourself the time to heal before getting back to work if you can.

Best of luck to you!

Thanks everyone for all the info. I defenetly want everything to go smooth. I will be off for Christmas break in December for 17 days would this be plenty of time off? I also am off summers when school is out but I dont know if I can wait till may.

like others, i have a desk job and ended up taking 8 days off (glad i did too)

i think each of us heal differently....so its not an easy answer...your body will let you know if and when you are ready...def ask your doctor to get their suggestion...when you do go back. go slow and rest when you can...wishing you all the luck in the world

Thanks everyone for all the info. I defenetly want everything to go smooth. I will be off for Christmas break in December for 17 days would this be plenty of time off? I also am off summers when school is out but I dont know if I can wait till may.

Scheduling it around your Christmas break sounds like a good idea. I think 17 days is a good amount of time.

Thanks so much I will talk to the doctor and see what he thinks about christmas break as well.