Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ten Year Anniversary of Joining Here

Hi, Alex. Thanks for the anniversary reminder.

It has been ten years since several of us at Spotlight Health whined and moaned that the boards were dominated by RnY people and Alex said, "Is that all you want? Your own board?" And, ten years later, Alex's board is thriving and Spotlight is long gone.

Speaking of long gone... I was an early LapBand patient, 2002. The band had just been approved in the US, but my local doctor in Newport Beach, CA, had done a whole 30 or so. That's why I went to Roberto Rumbaut in Monterrey, Mexico. He had been part of the pre-FDA trials here and had placed well over a thousand bands at the time.

My band worked well for about a year. I lost about 50-60 pounds. Then the problems began and I started bitching and moaning and barfing, and people kept telling me I had attitude or needed to learn how it worked, etc. I never knew if I was going to be able to eat or if it was all going to come back up. In restaurants, the FIRST thing I needed was a seat near the restroom AND if the restroom had only one stall, I had to find another restaurant. I have barfed in every restaurant parking lot in Southern California, I'm sure of it! I regained every pound, plus three...because that's what you do when all you can eat is Soup and ice cream....and half of THAT comes back up most of the time. I couldn't exercise if I had even drunk Water in the hour or so before my appointment with my trainer...because then I was barfing Water. I finally decided, at the 2.5 year place, to revise to the DS. (Dr. Keshishian in Glendale, CA...but at that time, he was outside of Bakersfield...had done MANY band to DS revisions, so I felt safe.)

Dr. Keshishian didn't have Huber needles so he told me to get the saline removed at a band doctor's. The fastest place for that for me was dr. verboonen in Tijuana.

FORTUNATELY FOR ME, verboonen was training a new x-ray guy, so we had a roomful of people. Verboonen was explaining to him how we would be able to see the barium go through very slowly and after the saline was removed, the barium would go through much faster. The four of us...my husband was there too...watched as the barium didn't go through at all. It went a bit of the way down and then nuthin'. It just sat there...a big ol' glump of radioactivity, paralyzed! lol

Finally, I got to say, "SEE??? THAT'S what I've been telling everyone. My food gets stuck and just sits there. And then later, it comes up or goes down...but I can never predict which it will be." I was on one of those tables that moves to a complete upright position...Verboonen moved me up and I jumped a couple of times and finally, the barium moved. Even with the saline out, the barium didn't move very well.

He took a deep breath and was preparing to explain to me what was happening and I said, "Esophageal dysmotility?" He said,"Thank God! You read a lot, don't you?"

The band came out three weeks later, in November of 2005. As of my last doctor's visit, I was still down 125 pounds, seven and a half years later. (I'm not thin, never will be...but I can wear some mediums and some large sizes and I can MOVE. I don't need to make sure the restaurant has tables and not just booths. I know that if I'm out of town and my luggage is lost, I can find clothes anywhere. This is all good stuff.)

The DS is not a worry-free procedure. If you are a passive personality, you should NEVER consider it. You must be VERY proactive, and NEVER settle for "my doctor says" unless you ALSO believe it. If you cannot challenge your doctor's decisions or demand explanations, do NOT get the DS.

The esophageal dysmotility did not resolve right away. I think it was about eleven weeks, during which time I was convinced that the band had forever damaged my esophagus. But it is better now. Maybe 95%? I was lucky.

So...the band works well for some people, but the last I read, over half the people who get one, have to have it removed.

Although I have moved on from participating in wls boards, I did so for ten years. So I have "watched" hundreds...probably thousands...of people go through one wls procedure or another. My sister recently got the Gastric Sleeve. I would have kidnapped her if she had tried to go for the band...lol...but after watching me, there was no way she would have considered it.

IMHO, the sleeve or the DS are the only way to go. Your opinion will probably vary. But you know, most of the people--not all, but most--who REALLY argued with me about my position on the band have since had their bands replaced or revised to other procedures.

If you have one...good luck. But if you have one and it's giving you problems, do not let people talk you out of doing something that you feel you need to do to protect your health.

GeezerSue

Hi there and congratulations on 10 years. I'm sorry to hear that you had problems with your band in the beginning but am glad to know that it was caught in time for your esophagus. Please excuse my ignorance but what is a DS?

Hi, Lady...

I'm going to make this simple enough for ME to understand it. But I'll find a link for people who need that kind of info.

You know how the Gastric Sleeve just makes the stomach smaller and you lose weight because you just can't get any more food IN? Well, that's the "upper half" of the DS, aka the Duodenal Switch. The "lower half" involves, essentially, rerouting your guts such that food goes down one pathway and "digestive juices" go down the other and they don't meet up until about the last 100cm of intestines.

So, on the top half, you just cannot hold as much food as you once did. On the lower half, not all of what does get in gets absorbed. Generally, only about 20% of fats and oils get absorbed. So I can eat steak and eggs and bacon and have LOTS of butter on my gluten free pancakes (many of us do better with gluten-free carbs post-op) and have a cholesterol of 130, but...unfortunately, I absorb ALL of the carbs I eat, so I CAN get fat from living off of sugar.

And, there are nutrients in the foods I don't absorb...which means I'm not absorbing those nutrients from my food, so I have to stay on top of taking supplements. Religiously. And having blood work a couple of times a year, at least. Religiously. In spite of that, I feel quite fortunate to have learned about the DS...another name for it is Gastric Resection Duodenal Switch.

There are only a few doctors who do this surgery. And many who don't, badmouth it. But it is the malabsorption that this surgery proveds that has allowed me to weigh what I do. (Malabsorption is the GOAL of the DS. It is NOT malnutrition. Malnutrition is what happens when you don't have needed blood work and don't take supplements. They are essential.)

Here's a link:

http://www.dsfacts.com/

If there is someone here who is having a terrible time with the band, I hope this might help them.

Oh my. Thank you for that explanation. I had never heard of it. I hope it all works out for you.

Oh my. Thank you for that explanation. I had never heard of it. I hope it all works out for you.

Lol...at 7.5 years and maintaining a 125 pound loss, I like to think it HAS worked out for me.

Lol I guess you're right huh??? Lol