Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just banded July 18 2013

Good morning everyone! I was just banded at Southern Regional Hospital in Riverdale GA by Dr. Johnson on July 18, 2013. The surgery went well with no complications. When I got home is when the real pain set in. The medicine my doctor prescribed Roxicet seemed to do nothing it didn't even make me drowsy and I was up pacing the floor and crying in pain most of the night. I had my surgery at 11 a.m. and returned home at 5 p.m. I drank about 8 ounces of Water and 4 ounces of apple juice and that was it for food that day. To quote someone I read on You Tube who adequately summed up how I felt, "I felt like I was stabbed 5 times with knitting needles" and then my stomach was put in a vice grip! It hurt sitting down, getting up, laying down, walking and everything else. I felt like I was having a panic attack as I didn't know what to do to make myself feel better. Now day 3 post-op I'm feeling better and the pain is more bearable. I had 2 C-sections so I couldn't imagine the pain being worse but it really was. Maybe because I was in the hospital 2 to 3 days with the C-section and they gave me the heavy duty drugs while in there and in this case I went home hours later with what felt like Tylenol 200 mg! I'm still trying to get used to this post-op diet and my husband keeps offering me foods I'm not supposed to have which is frustrating to say the least. He doesn't get liquid diet and says I look depressed so he wants to cheer me up with some food I like not Water!

So sorry your recovery is difficult. It will get better though and this pain will become a distant memory. What alarms me more than your physical issues is the hubby. I know he means well, but he's inadvertently trying to sabotage you. Sit him down and have a serious conversation with him so he understands how to support you properly. Otherwise, you will give in and make bad choices when you are having a bad day, or feeling low and then you will feel even worse for not following the program. Good luck and wishing you much success on your weight loss journey.

Didn't you have a Bariatric Center to call when they sent you home as an out-patient? If not, that doctor & surgery center should be reported. You should have had more comfort assistance! This is why I would never go to Mexico or to some hole in the wall place for Lap Band placement. My insurance company would like to know about bad follow-up on their policy holders before covering claims!

Thank you both for your support. I did have an emergency number to call and did have it done at the local hospital in Riverdale, Georgia. The pains reached their peak after midnight and I didn't want to bother the surgeon at that time unless I was near death so I just bore it crying. You are right about sitting the hubby down and talking to him and I've been doing that today. He said he didn't know what I needed as I was looking all depressed.

Joanne, with all due respect, Mexico is leading the world in medicine, ie surgeries, hospitals, etc. any honest knowledgable Dr. In North America would tell you this :). Please don't write misinformation as you are putting people at risk when you steer them away from 5 star, state of the art facilities. I am a Canadian. People need to do their research before letting any surgeon cut them in open. There are good and bad everywhere. :)