Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Difference between Midband and SAGB

:help:

I am trying to decide which band would be better. I think I have made the decision to go with either of these but can't really find much of a difference on them. I already have after care taken care of (thanks lightnerbride! ). There are several docs in Oregon and WA that will care for me later. So, other than picking my doc (MX), I need to decide which band. Any help or posts, good and bad, from bandsters that have either of these would be wonderful!! Thank you so much!!

Amy

:)

Anyone here that can answer? PLEEEAAAAASSSEE!! :) :faint:

Or move this to the appropriate thread? Thanks!!

Amy

Hello! I am no expert, but I have the SAGB. I looked for any studies comparing them, and most I could find online were out of date. But there were a few more recent ones. They suggest that the SAGB has much lower rates of food intolerance, and a lower rate of slippage. I know it it cosidered 'soft' and 'wide' in comparison to the Inamed band. The European doctors, who have a chocie, are changing over to the SAGB. So other than the fact that it is not yet approved in the US, it looks like the SAGB is the better choice to me.

Boy, I sure hope more people can weigh in. I'd like to know what the advantage of the mid-band is but, aside from a general description, it's hard to figure out.

Britt

I'm scheduled to have my procedure done on May 15th (Monterrey Mexico) and I have to call my coordinator tomorrow with my decision:

Do I want the Inamed band or the Swedish band? :D

I'm told that my doctor prefers the Swedish, but I'm also told that because it's not FDA approved here in the states that it's harder to find a doctor that will do fills ~ if any!

So...I could fly back to Monterrey for the fills, the airfare is cheap, BUT that could add up pretty quickly depending on how many fills I would need.

I've also heard that some people don't need any fills at all...

So, IrishRose, I guess you and I are in the same boat! Tell me about the aftercare - were you able to find a doctor that would treat you if you get the Swedish band???

I actually had a chance to see the Inamed band and the swedish band.. also the one they use in france..lol my doctor had them all in his office in a display so that I could choose.. I chose the swedish band.. the thing that made me choose that was the quality of the band.. the Inamed band looked really cheap compared to the swedish band. The swedish band is softer and it contracts with your stomach but still provides the same restriction as the inamed band. I felt that I would obviously PB a few times so their would be less chance of it slipping..the Inamed band has too many sections.. between the band and the port the tubing has 2 sections.. what happends if you stretch or pull it somehow.. (the Fluid would leak out) The swedish band is 1 whole piece.. no sections it connects to the port and thats it.. anyway My Dr. did tell me that both the bands work just as good but he gives each patient a choice of which band they'd like..

Wendy

If you are going to have aftercare in the US, you need to have an Inamed band installed, because that's the only brand of bands that is approved in the US.

If you are going to travel back to the original doctor for your aftercare, then it doesn't matter quite so much, but also, many doctors have a preference, and don't really give you a choice, or have all the options available, and decide once they are looking at your insides what they believe will be best for you.

:)