Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New and full of questions!

Hello all!

I've been considering LB surgery for the last 2 years. I can't seem to get any encouragement from family or friends. Everyone I speak to about it seems negative on the subject of any weightloss surgery. I wonder if there is anyone one this site that is disabled (wheelchair restricted) that has or is considering LB surgery? I am a 51 year old, retired school teacher who is considered mobidly obese (I hate that term.), a wheelchair user due to polio at 18 months of age and now dealing with Post-Polio Syndrome (in other words, I have chronic fatique and pain in large joints daily.), type 2 diabetic. A couch potato's dream. BUT, I know what's best for me, and I know LB surgery could save my life or at least better the quality of it. I am considering contacting Dr. Spivak in Houston, Texas. I have been able to maintain my weight at 230 since being a teen, but the last couple of years I have gained. I am slowing down even further and it scares me. Any comments would be appreciated.

Cat

Cat--

I am not w/c bound.....so cannot answer from that perspective!! I can tell you medically you WILL benefit from weight loss....you get clearance for the surgery and the weight loss will increase your mobility!! :clap2: Just do your research and pray and talk to your healthcare providers!!

God Bless,

Melody

Banded 3/20/06 -43lbs :)

Welcome to LBT, Cat! You just found a great place for support!

We're in a group that gets together weekly for meals in the DFW area. One of our members was w/c bound when she started. She has since lost her wheelchair. :P She's even out of a walker now, she uses her husband's arm & that's it. She is also off of her 24x7 oxygen. She's amazing!

I know that each situation is different, but hopefully her's can help somehow. (She doesn't hang out on LBT, she & her husband are on DFWBandsters)

Read as many posts as you can here & feel free to ask questions, we love to talk!! Welcome again, we're glad you're here!! :D

YOUR opinion is the one that counts and only YOU know how you feel now as opposed to a few years ago. Do your own research, determine if your insurance company will pay for the surgery, and talk with a surgeon. Attend some of the pre and post-op meetings and THEN make the choice what's in YOUR best interest.