Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To fill...or not to Fill

Still trying to figure out what's 'normal' with the band and I'm looking for thoughts on whether a fill makes sense. I have an appointment tomorrow and plan on talking to the doctor but would love your thoughts.

I've been struggling with losing weight since surgery - I lost the majority of my weight (20 lbs) when I was on liquids and it has pretty much stopped I started eating food (7 lbs in 8 weeks). I've joined Weight Watchers to ensure that I'm eating the right things and keeping my calories in check. I'm eating about 25 Points + (around 1, 300) calories a day, I drink 100+ oz of Water (propel, crystal light, MiO) and walk about 2 miles a day, 3x per week.

I am definitely eating less food than I did pre surgery and feel satisfied after eating, however:

- I have to watch every bite that goes into my mouth to stay around 1,300 calories. If I eat something that's not a great choice, my calories fly up fast since I'm still eater larger portions

- I don't have any trouble eating. I don't have to chew my food well and I don't have trouble with any foods, including bread, rice and meat

- I eat Breakfast around 9:00 (example: Light English Muffin with 1 T Peanut Butter), lunch around 12:00 - 1:00 (Sauteed onions in Pam, 3 oz steak strips with 1/2 oz Gorgonzola cheese, Light & Fit Greek Yogurt, Green Beans), snack 3:30 (6 Pita chips Cracks, 2 T Hummus, String Cheese), Dinner: 6:30 - 7:00 (10 Shrimp, Veggies and about 1/4 cup rice), Snack 9:00 (Protein Bar)

Is this the way it should be or should I be eating less? I feel like I'm eating a lot...and I feel like I'm on a diet because I have to watch everything that's going in my mouth.

Thoughts???

First, congratulations on your weight loss so far.

Please keep in mind that the average weight loss with the band is 1-2 pounds per week. So you losing 7 pounds in 8 weeks is exactly where you should be. You're doing great. Remember. the weight didn't come on over night and it won't disappear over night either.

As far as Weight Watchers, I'm a big believer in do whatever works for you. If you like WW and their program and feel it's a good fit for your needs, then do it. We all have to find our own path and what works best for us.

As far as a fill- the easiest way to decide whether or not you need a fill is hunger. Can you be satisfied on a cup or less of food for at least 4 hours? If yes, then you probably don't need one. If no, then talk to your doctor about getting a fill.

Good luck!

I know for me I needed 3 fills before I felt the band was working it's magic. You're in Bandster hell now and until you get enough fills to allow you to feel a little restriction this will be just like a diet. Once your band is adjusted properly you may have some stuck episodes but you should be looking for satiety.

You could be eating less but it's hard till your band is adjusted. Keep eating healthy foods so you don't gain but go back for fills till your band is giving you enough restriction to feel satisfied longer.

Weight Watchers may be good for you at this point but once your band is adjusted you shouldn't need to rely on WW. Once you feel some restriction your appetite may change and so will the foods your band tolerates. You're right on track so far imo.

tmf

Thanks so much for your feedback!

I went for my appointment today and got a fill. My doctor felt that over the past month, I've been dieting, not taking advantage of the band. liquids today, mushies tomorrow and solids on Saturday, so we'll see!