Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was approved for my lap band. I did my first consultation with my surgeon and the day is set for August 12.. I Finish my 6 month supervise diet and now is waiting to finish with the pre-op testing. My Surgeon said that he would insert a breathe tube to support my breathing during the procedure. This Makes me so nervous.. If anybody experience this please reply Thanks

Surgery can be a scary thing especially the thought of having a breathing tube. But think of it this way, the tube is important to protect your airway and have a safe surgery. I've had several surgeries in my life and understand your worries. I would share those with your surgeon. Is there a support person or nurse at your bariatric center you could contact. My doctor's nurse gave me her cell number. Not all nurses are that open though lol but maybe you could meet with someone to quel your nerves.

It is needed during surgery because of the anesthesia. Be sure to ask your team any questions you may have. The tube will be in and out while your asleep and you won't even know it was there, except for maybe a slight sore throat post-op. It really is for your benefit. Best wishes to you!! :)

I'm an RN and have had several surgeries. First of all your surgeon doesn't put the tube in, the anesthesiologist does. That is all he does all day long. He inserts the tube and gives you medication during the surgery to make sure you are unconscious during the surgery. The tube goes in when you are asleep and comes out before you awaken. Only rarely to people awaken with the tube in place. More than likely you won't even know you had it in, I'm scheduled for 7/15 for the band

And the anesthesiologist will come talk to you before your surgery and you will be able to ask all the questions you need to. Don't worry, they know what they are doing and they want you to be comfortable.

I had surgery the 24th just a suggestion have on hand sugar free popsicles the thing ones help best.. i didn't realize i would have the tube but it makes sense ... I did have a sore throat but I was under for awhile because i had hernia as well ... good luck

I was banded on Monday & woke up with a tube (there were complications that requires a 2nd one). The sore throat hurts for 2 days but thank God no more. Don't worry have faith and you'll be fine. Good luck

Hi everyone, I'm considering getting lap band surgery. I've started the process of getting approved and meeting the requirements. I'm kind of nervous and excited. Any words of wisdom that you can share will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.