Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Body Fat Percentage

I've made the decision (and it was an easy one to make) that I'm no longer aiming for a specific weight but a specific body fat percentage, which for me, is a goal of 15%.

Some background - when I was losing, I got a little bit addicted to it. I eventually got down to a BMI of 21 and a BFP of about 22%. At a weight of 118lbs, I was 'skinny fat'. I now weigh 144lbs or 27lbs more than my lowest weight and I have a BFP of 19%.

I know what I'd rather be!

I've broken that mindset that skinny is what I want to be any more. I want to be healthy, that was my first motivation and it will continue to be henceforth. Which is why I now want to monitor my BFP and get rid of my scales forever.

So I was doing some research and I found the following info:

Essential Fat: women 10% - 13%

Athletes: women 14% - 20%

Fitness: women 21% - 24%

Average: women 25% - 31%

Obese: women 32% +

Essential Fat: men 2% - 5%

Athletes: men 6% - 13%

Fitness: men 14% - 17%

Average: men 18% - 24%

Obese: men 25% +

It says my current BFP is in the athletic range for women, which is great but I know I can do better.

So I'm looking for fellow bandsters now to support each other through getting to a goal BFP instead of concentrating on the scales. Newbies or vets, it doesn't matter, if you need motivation and someone to help and cheer you along, I'm your girl. Anyone else with me?

I've made the decision (and it was an easy one to make) that I'm no longer aiming for a specific weight but a specific body fat percentage, which for me, is a goal of 15%.

Some background - when I was losing, I got a little bit addicted to it. I eventually got down to a BMI of 21 and a BFP of about 22%. At a weight of 118lbs, I was 'skinny fat'. I now weigh 144lbs or 27lbs more than my lowest weight and I have a BFP of 19%.

I know what I'd rather be!

I've broken that mindset that skinny is what I want to be any more. I want to be healthy, that was my first motivation and it will continue to be henceforth. Which is why I now want to monitor my BFP and get rid of my scales forever.

So I was doing some research and I found the following info:

Essential Fat: women 10% - 13%

Athletes: women 14% - 20%

Fitness: women 21% - 24%

Average: women 25% - 31%

Obese: women 32% +

Essential Fat: men 2% - 5%

Athletes: men 6% - 13%

Fitness: men 14% - 17%

Average: men 18% - 24%

Obese: men 25% +

It says my current BFP is in the athletic range for women, which is great but I know I can do better.

So I'm looking for fellow bandsters now to support each other through getting to a goal BFP instead of concentrating on the scales. Newbies or vets, it doesn't matter, if you need motivation and someone to help and cheer you along, I'm your girl. Anyone else with me?

This is the most accurate way of determining what is actually going on....BMI's are only reliable to a point......If you know your current BFP, and know where you want to be, say 10% lower, then determine 10% of you current weight and that would be how much more you want to loose.

Fortunately, at the health club I go to, they have a very sophisticated computer operated scale the determines BF% by measuring the body's impedance...you have to stand on it barefoot, and grip metal handles with each hand....an attendant needs to enter some data such as weight, height, gender, etc....then it gives a printout of not only BF% but other information as well.....

It cost $10 a shot...so I do it about once a month....

I took note of a high paid star professional football player in the NFL, who is the same height as me, but weighs 20 lbs more....if you follow BMI's, that would put him borderline Obese.....I don't think so, I don't think there is an oz. of fat on him....and he is a running back who played in the Super Bowl 2 years ago....

My BF% is at a point now, that my Dr said if I lost any more weight it would most likely be essential muscle and not fat....that would be unhealthy and dangerous....yet if I followed the BMI, I need to loose another 15 lbs and technically I am still overweight!!

BodyScan257_zpsae0014a2.jpg

BodyScan258_zps317c6c25.jpg

I'm a big advocate of using BFP over weight or BMI. It really is a more accurate measure of how healthy you are especially when you are working out and exercising.

This was super interesting to me to hear...I never even thought about it. I've always thought that BMI was all wrong wrong wrong...and I'm intrigued by the idea to reduce my BFP.

I'm in! I have absolutely no idea what to do to get started or even what an appropriate goal is so I'll have to do some research...

Ultimately, the weight loss in pounds still plays a huge roll for me right now at the beginning, but I think that the closer I get to goal the more interesting it will be to track that body fat percentages...