Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just windering if any of you have had good success with the band with little to no excersise? I have a degenerative disease of my spine where it deteriorates rapidly n alot of days I can't even do a normal amount of walking for every day life.. im hoping once some of the weight comes off n possibly relieves some extra pressure on my spine I will be able to vigorously walk, but for now.. its not gonna happen. Im not lazy at all its just physically impossible for me. Any thoughts or experience?

I have always said that weight loss is about 80/20 diet/exercise. I do know people that have lost all their excess weight without exercise. It might be a little harder or take longer but it's definitely possible.

My sister and sister in law who are not obese but they needed to lose weight both lost 40 pounds with out a lick of exercise so it can be done

If it is any encouragement, I loose faster weight when I exercise the least and concentrate on my intake. I know that this isn't how it works for everyone, but I tend to be an all or nothing exerciser and I fight increased hunger.

Now exercise will make you healthier, and you might want to consider something like Water aerobics

my knees/legs/lower back hurt something fierce and it was hard for me to get around..so yeah, you can lose but it could be slower if you dont exercise...and if that is case, great because the more you lose, the better you can get around and then add exercise.....its a win win in my eyes

It's do-able - I've done it a thousand times. I would recommend you talk to your doctor and see if he/she can recommend any physical therapy or isotonic exercises that would be feasible and compatible with your medical condition. I've never met a dr yet who couldn't come up with some type of exercise for anyone (and believe me - I've looked! :-/ )

I've had both my knees replaced about 3 years ago. I have issues with walking or standing too long. I do Water aerobics and I will use a stability ball and bounce on it and lift my weights. There is always something you can do, there are even chair exercise videos for those who can't walk or stand.

Hi! Just wanted to let you know that my number one reason for the lap band was to get weight off and find out if I had relief from back pain. I am happy to say yes! For me, I have had almost no back pain. I am able to walk up to five miles at this time, and still ride another 7 miles a day on my bike, pain free. I am a work in progress. There were days when I could not get around my house without pain, so I am thrilled with the out come of the band so far!

Excellent responses, thank you all. My spine gets worse month to month n I will need spinal fusions to prevent my vertebrae from breaking, my dad has had his 7th surgery for it (genetic disease that he gave me) so i know what I have to look forward to n want to get as healthy as possible before that time comes so I have purchased an excersise bike n free weights etc, I don't plan to sit around and do nothing! just didn't know if it was do-able without alot of excersise. So glad to hear these stories!! I've lost 30 lbs since june 3rd pre-op n 2+ weeks post op so at least it's a step in the right direction, hope I can keep it going :)

Shantelle, Hello fellow degenerate LOL. (bad joke). I too have DDD and have 3 herniations. One so severe I complete compression on the spinal nerves that cannot be visualized via MRI. I too will require a discectomy in the near future as well as fusion in the (hopefully longterm) future. I was banded in 2009 at 250#. Got pregnant a year later. Ended up in a major car accident that put my back into acute strain (bursitis, sciatica and severe loss of ROM). I couldn't do passive PT nonetheless real cardio/weight lifting. After 8 long months, my neural symptoms finally subsided and I am now on spinal injections to manage the inflammation/pain every 2-3 months. After I was back to 'normal' (which is back pain not all the other bells and whistles) I resumed my diet. I've lost 40-45 lbs since January and am now at goal. I NEVER did a day of exercise during the entire time I had my band. There's just no way. The weight loss has helped tremendously with my back pain and I feel it has helped to resolve my neural symptoms from the accident. I am just at the point where I am considering some core exercises to strengthen accessory back muscles. Dead lifts, ab crunches, leg presses etc are all hard nos for me. It terrifies me to try because my back is so vulnerable and easy to sprain (which means 4 days of bed rest for me). So yes it is possible. I don't find my wl was slow at all, quite the opposite. However, do recognize that your caloric intake for 'sedentary' lifestyle needs to be decreased in order to lose the weight. IM me if you wanna chat.

Well, due to my disability it is very difficult to do strenuous exercise so it is a slow process for me to lose weight at a higher pace. I am walking with a cane and not using a mobility cart for shopping which has improved my weight loss but not significantly. Like Guy said it's about 80% diet and 20% exercise.

Hazelsbliss thanks so much for the informative post and im sorry to hear of your ongoing issues but I am also glad im not alone. My spine has no stability, im in severe pain every day, pain Patches, pills, and many many injections is how I live my life, so I completely understand. I am hoping for some relief once some of the weight comes off, I am determined to jump on the excersise wagon when that happens. But like I said for now just trucking along hoping for my low cal diet n the band to be enough. Thanks so much for the support!

Dawalsh sorry to hear you also have a disability, but at least according to your posts you've still lost weight n that's great!

Shantelle, the weight loss will help with the aggravating acute pain. Pain will always be apart of our lives, but I think manageable is what us degens look for. Just to be able to participate in normal functions is great. I'm happy to say that I have managed to get myself back into horse back riding. Something that I wouldn't have dared to do just this past January. These are those NSV (non scale victories) they talk about and this one just makes me feel as free as being at a healthy weight :)

There are exercises that can be done from a sitting position or a near sitting position. Also there some resistant band training that can be done as well. You may not be able to do all of them but perhaps during your weight loss journey you may be able start a little at a time.

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=982

Exercises that you can do from your desk.

http://entrepreneurs.about.com/od/lifebalance/a/deskexercise.htm

There are also some isometrics that you can do as well

http://entrepreneurs.about.com/od/lifebalance/a/deskexercise.htm

In any case I do not do that much exercising and have manged to lose a little weight.