Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Body in Starvation Mode

Very true DeLarla. It is a process that the body has as a means of protecting us during times such as famines but it won't prevent us from losing weight. It appears to, for a short time, but in reality what is happening is our bodies are breaking down muscle for energy and storing fat. Check out the article. I think it will help explain why so many of us have the wrong idea about what starvation mode really is.

My surgeon laughs at the "starvation mode" myth. He says the majority of morbidly obese are about the most dishonest folks around when it comes to their weight and will use any excuse possible to convince society that it's not their fault.

If you take in fewer calories than you need, you'll lose weight. If you starve for a week, you'll lose weight. When they talk about "starvation mode" it's such a temporary phase that it's not even worth mentioning, which is why people are starving to death while we speak.

I agree... I had a big wake up call on this since my last fill. I've dieted on Weight Watchers (Atkins, Slim Fast and others) and exercised and not lost weight for month and months straight. I used to think my body was just crazy. I didn't lose even one pound on my one week pre-op liquid phase and was still thinking my body was crazy. Now I'm finally losing and I can see now my calories just have to be really low. On Weight Watchers I was getting 1200 - 1500 calories which I realize now was just too much for me. I'm getting about 800 now and things are finally working.

I used to think if I dropped below 1200 then I would go into Starvation Mode but now I realize that maybe that's where I need to be.

It's sad because I feel the band is really the only way I could do that since before I couldn't get my "head" around eating less then 1200 calories. (It seemed so low back then)

OK forgive me if this is dumb...

Isn't one of the primary reasons for us eating 60-80grams of Protein a day supposed to help prevent the burning of muscle? And A doctor who shall remain nameless once told me that as and obese person I needn't worry about taking in too few calories because my body would simply just burn the fat as long as i had enough protein. And that I wouldn't starve for a long long time. I have heard so many things I am more confused than ever. I know my aunt, who has been banded for almost a year, eats around 700-800calories a day and has lost over 70lbs. I guess I'll figure it out through trial and error if nothing else, once I can get a fill.

I believe there is a starvation mode, but I'd call it something more like survival mode. and I agree - like I said in my post - if starvation mode stopped weightloss, no one would ever die of starvation. :eek:

waterlily - consuming Protein itself will not keep your muscles at any particular size. That's part of why it's important to exercise. Building muscle is a process of damaging and replacing muscle tissue (long story short). One doesn't get muscular simply by eating Protein, and since the body's natural reaction is to metablozie muscle tissue when calories are in deficit, just having the protein there isn't going to prevent this.

Another long story short, muscle mass will burn more calories. That's why pro bodybuilders can eat 15 eggs for Breakfast, 5 cheeseburgers for lunch, and however many steaks and potatoes they want for dinner, and still maintain 5% body fat. You as you are now but with another 150# of muscle will require a LOT more calories than you without the muscle to maintain the same physique.

YOu're not going to starve, don't even worry about that. I think that was a bad call on your nameless doctor's behalf to word it that way. "Starve" and "starvation mode" aren't the same thing.

The addage is "you will lose weight if you intake fewer calories than you require to function." True on most levels, but then look at VQ whose BMR is significantly more than 1000 calories, but who loses no weight on a 1000 calorie diet. The true exception to this addage is rare, but does exist. And note I said "lose weight", not "lose fat". I think too many people equate weight to fat, and you just can't do that.

Sorry guys, I didn't get too overwhelmed in medical details in my post for a reason, but maybe I left out some key explanations in the process. I also didn't touch on every detail or aspect b/c I didn't want to be a post hog. :eek:

And keep in mind some of what we learned may be out of date or may be nullified alltogether, it has been about 8 years since I've stepped foot in a med student class.

I believe there is a starvation mode, but I'd call it something more like survival mode. and I agree - like I said in my post - if starvation mode stopped weightloss, no one would ever die of starvation. :eek:

I think thats a better descriptor of what is going on. Once you get down to true starvation level of survival higher brain functions begin shutting down and a more primal survival instinct takes over.

So unless you are going to club your neighbour over the head and scoff 'em for supper I think survival works best.

The process, however you describe it though, clearly exists. Too little calories and the body does what it can to survive in the best way possible. Slow the metabolism and start extracting nourishment from wherever it is easy to consume (protein is easier than fat).

Editing - thought my original message had gone bye-bye when I tried to submit so I re-typed the damn thing over again.

My preop wt was 308 lbs. The highest I've ever been and the fastest I ever got to that point. Nothing I was doing was working for me. I couldn't do it on my own anymore.

Celeste, at 307 lbs I was right there with you on the desperation meter. Thank God for the band. The only thing I'm desperate for now is a size 12! hehe

Celeste, at 307 lbs I was right there with you on the desperation meter. Thank God for the band. The only thing I'm desperate for now is a size 12! hehe

I know, several years ago I lost 90 lbs using healthly eating, Ephedra (I miss this stuff!!!) and I worked out for 2+ hours 6 days of the week. I still have clothes from that time at a 14. Got to a point then that I never got any smaller, then my environment changed, my workouts changed (then stopped) and then I began gaining it all plus more back. I have to admit, I wanted the bypass, but my German doctor insisted on the band because of long-term health issues they have found in their bypass pts. Now I am glad for the band except that I'm able to tolerate ANYTHING and with the bypass I wouldn't be able to. 2 weeks ago for about 3 days in a row I had 1 hershey's Peanut Butter kiss and tolerated very well. It's alot a mind game for me and I refuse to tell myself that there are things that I can't have . I just insist of eating healthier now.

I kinda got off the subject huh?

How much are you eating? What are your caloric goals?

My theory is that you should eat as much as you can while still losing. That way, if you get stuck, you still have room for adjustment, you know?

You definately need to be eating 3 meals a day, at the least. Many people do 5 or 6 smaller meals. If you can't eat in the morning, drink a protien shake, or at least a glass of milk or something.

The way to beat 'starvation mode' is to basically eat enough that your body feels that it's safe to let go of some of it. IE; if you are eating 500 calories, do your best to go up to 1500, and then adjust from there to continue losing weight.

The thing about starvation mode is that basically at some point, you will start losing weight, but it'll be in the form of lean muscle mass, not fat, and then when you start to eat more again, it'll go back into your muscles and your weight will go up (at least, to the best of my understanding).

I'm averaging between 800 and 1100 calories per day. I don't specifically have a caloric goal because at this point it's still about 1/3 of what I use to take in and I've been on too many counting diets (I have had 1 day where I went to 1400). The last few days I have been taking it up a little and documenting on fitday.com and am now around 1100-1200 cal/day with 80-100+ gm Protein. Been working out by fast walk and jogging along with some beginning weights at least every other day (heart rate @ 140-160 for 40 minutes) (My Germany surgeon instructs to no fewer than 3 times a week because if someone is going to do this the rest of their lives, this is the minimum that they (in Germany)have found people can absolutely stay compliant with... forever).

<!-- / message -->