Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who has cheated on their post op diet? And with what.

Honestly? Not me. I had to be on liquids for 4 weeks post surgery and I never once cheated.

I knew the risks and knew if I cheated I risked not only causing a slip but hurting myself badly.

It sucked to be on liquids for a month, but I figured I had to suck it up and be a smart adult about it. Cheating on the post op diet, in my eyes, seemed totally counter productive and foolish.

My doc had a very conservative feeding plan to transition from liquids to solids. I remember introducing both mushies and solids a week prior to when I was supposed to. I never had any signs of reflux, regurg or the band being excessively tight when I made the decision to transition earlier. I had no complications and when I learned of others plans I realized my docs plan was indeed (too) conservative. I never cheated on food choices or portion sizes, just the start dates to transition foods.

no, i did not cheat before surgery or after....it doesnt make me better or stronger than anyone but i was 336 pounds......and 5'2 on a good day.....was as wide as i was tall....cheating on diets got me to that size..as did eating junk and sitting on couch 24/7... i decided once if i was approved for surgery, i would do everything i could to make myself well......i MADE the decision to either do it the right way....or just BS my way through it and remain big and blame everyone but me.....

I absolutley did not cheat pre-op or post op.. I was scared to make a stupid mistake... I had decided that my future health was at stake, once I decided to get the surgery I made up my mind to do whatever it took to be successful... I had about 2 weeks of liquids, I was given a full book of instructions with each weeks do's and don'ts so I had plenty of guidance... like CG I either had to put up or shut up... Same goes for any other instructions.. no straws, no gum, no carbonated drinks... no drinking during meals, etc. if my surgeon said stand on your head and spit wooden nickels.. I'm doing it... I hope I can continue to be smart enough to do what I need to...

I transitioned earlier to more mushier foods, but not bad foods. I chose to do so because the hunger was overwhelming and I was not feeling well not having a sustenance. I am feeling great now, eating good foods, using My Fitness Pal with a lot of my fellow band buddy's. By the time I get my first fill, I will be well prepared for the foods is the way I look at it:)

My doc had a very conservative feeding plan to transition from liquids to solids. I remember introducing both mushies and solids a week prior to when I was supposed to. I never had any signs of reflux, regurg or the band being excessively tight when I made the decision to transition earlier. I had no complications and when I learned of others plans I realized my docs plan was indeed (too) conservative. I never cheated on food choices or portion sizes, just the start dates to transition foods.

I completely agree with you! I do what my body says I can do. I didn't begin eating steak, I am still only eating mushier foods, but I chew everything completely and watch my portions and keep any eye on the calories through My Fitness Pal.

Does anyone know what the phrase, "eating around the band" means? I read it earlier today and it sounds like a form of "cheating" but in another sense, it could mean some kind of erosion on the band? Can anyone clarify? Thanks.

I think your post should read who HASN'T cheated? I know I have. But not to the extent that I gain weight. I know that I cheat here and there, but I feel so guilty about it I make sure to jog a little bit extra or drink Water. Remember, we weren't big for nothin'. lol