Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All,

I hope everyone is doing awesome today!

I have a question about the psych eval, see, I'm diagnosed bi-polar however my family thinks its just depression. I don't know but everything is treated and controlled with meds. Is this something that will cause me to fail the eval??? I've qualified for everything else and I'm worried this might hold me back.

Has anyone in here had my same problem???

I'm really nervous about this.

Definitely not, in fact because you are already under a doctor's care for it and it's under control with meds, it'll probably work in your favor. It'll show you take responsibility for your health which is a good thing.

It'll go fine :)

I was worried about that,too. Today I had my first visit to the weight loss doctor for my 7 month trial. I specifically asked about that. He told me not to worry.

I think this is required to ensure that you are ready to accept the life changes that are needed for the surgery to succeed. And more importantly that you are doing the surgery for yourself. Someone having surgery to impress their families, to keep a boy or girl friend is having surgery for the wrong reasons. I expressed concerns about not being to travel comfortably, and wanting the surgery for my self esteem and no one elses.

Tx everyone, I feel much better and relieved. I have only told my parents and boyfriend about the WLS, even then my parents seem against it and offer suggestions about things I've already tried and failed at. I just don't want everyone else's opinion about something they haven't put the time into to research this. My parents think its going to kill me or mame me for life. The only one supporting my decision is my boyfriend. I don't see the rest of my family often since we live so far apart so I should be over all the post op part of it before they find out. I've asked the folks not to tell anyone but I know someone will spill the Beans sooner or later. I just don't want to hear what they will have to say and make me feel down on myself or have second thoughts. Has anyone experienced this kind of situation?

Tx everyone, I feel much better and relieved. I have only told my parents and boyfriend about the WLS, even then my parents seem against it and offer suggestions about things I've already tried and failed at. I just don't want everyone else's opinion about something they haven't put the time into to research this. My parents think its going to kill me or mame me for life. The only one supporting my decision is my boyfriend. I don't see the rest of my family often since we live so far apart so I should be over all the post op part of it before they find out. I've asked the folks not to tell anyone but I know someone will spill the Beans sooner or later. I just don't want to hear what they will have to say and make me feel down on myself or have second thoughts. Has anyone experienced this kind of situation?

Oh lots of folks on the forum have had this concern. It's why lots of them keep the surgery to themselves and do not let others know. Your situation is not unique and you will find lots of support on this site. Good luck.

I think psych evals are pretty hard to fail. Personally, I think they are more to screen people with substance abuse problems or people at are really on the edge of sanity. The fact that you are actually worried about it probably means you are going to be fine. Lol. Good luck!

Lots of folks have a problem with who to tell what about the surgery. If I may make a suggestion, take your parents and boyfriend with you to a seminar and let them get their question answered to. I have told only immediate family and close friends, oh... and about 200,000 people here. Don't let anyone tell you it is the easy way out. You will still have to work and the lap band is just the right tool for the job!

Best wishes.