Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 week post-op!! Questions???

Ok so I'm 1 week post op today. I've definitely had good days and bad days. Yesterday I slept a lot. Felt good in the evening and horrible at bedtime. I'm having pain on my left side (port side) all around my ribs. I iced and was able to fall asleep. I feel very sore...like bruised all over. Is this normal? Also I am burping constantly!! Now I have pain in my chest when i take a deep breath. Burping seems to relieve it. Is this normal? Is this the gas pain everyone has been talking about? Sorry for all the questions. Newbie having a freak out moment!!

That all sounds pretty standard. For the port pain try to avoid any heavy lifting. Also, put your hand on the spot and apply a little pressure any time you sit down or cough. The port attaches to your abdominal muscles so anything you do that uses that muscle group can make it sore. That should go away by the second week. As for burping, that will probably become your new best friend. Burping tells you that food has passed through your band and some air is escaping up your esophagus. Taking deep breaths is good for your lungs and I would recommend doing it every so often. Many times the gas pain shows itself as a referred pain in your left shoulder. You may still be experiencing pain from the surgery itself and this too should fade with time. Any time you have questions or are scared you feel free to call your doc's office as because that's what they get paid for! Good luck!

I'm sorry Newbie's aren't allowed to ask questions until they are 1 Month post -op ;)

I'm sorry I'm feeling rather Snarky today :P

GuyMontag gave allot of great advise!! You can use a heat pack to help relax the muscles and the Ice pack will help reduce swelling. I was told 20 mins ON 20 min off for both.

WELCOME to the "other side" :)

Take painkillers and dont try to bluster through it. Avoid shaking the duvet out and things like that for a good couple of weeks and remember you have had surgery, dont be too hard on yourself. The burping is probably a combo of the gas pain from the keyhole and your tummy getting used to its new situation, and dont forget they move things out of the way to get to your stomach when they do the surgery, a little bit of bruising on your diaphragm is not uncommon. Hope you feel better soon and start to enjoy the benefits that your new best friend will bring to you :)