Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Differences in post op diets

After reading numerous posts- it's really strange how there is such difference in post op diets. Why are some allowed to start on other food so soon before others? Makes ya wonder why there is such a difference.

Wish we could ask the Surgeons...They learn from the manufacturers when they attend all the learning seminars and patient experience. Mine told me liquids all day with 1- 300 calorie meal. others have been told all liquids? I think some Doctors are just into torturing us LMAO.... :P But in the end I think it's all about shrinking the liver prior to surgery. Me personally, I'm glad my surgeon didn't say OOPS during surgery ;)

My post op diet was 1 week liquids, 1 week mushies, then introduce solid foods. This is pretty different from most on these boards. It worked VERY well for me, because after 2 weeks I was very hungry and ready for real food. I have a theory as to why some surgeons say to stay on liquids and then mushies for much longer. In my opinion that is overkill. My theory was bashed on a previous post so I don't publicize it anymore. The more I read, the more I believe my theory is correct!

Yeah, I don't know why they do it the way they do, either. I stuck with my doctor's advise, because that is who I paid for his expertise. It was more rigid that some, but a LOT less rigid than others.

My pre-op diet was two weeks at 1200 calories/day....low fat, low carb. The two days prior to surgery, I was on full liquids, only.

Post-op was Clear Liquids for two days, and full liquids for another 12 days. Then mushies for 10 days. Other things were added back slowly in 10 day increments.

The worst one I've seen on here was post op - 30 days Clear Liquids. Really?! As much as I wanted this, I don't honestly believe that I would have made it on that. Talk about overkill?!

My post op diet was 1 week liquids' date=' 1 week mushies, then introduce solid foods. This is pretty different from most on these boards. It worked VERY well for me, because after 2 weeks I was very hungry and ready for real food. I have a theory as to why some surgeons say to stay on liquids and then mushies for much longer. In my opinion that is overkill. My theory was bashed on a previous post so I don't publicize it anymore. The more I read, the more I believe my theory is correct![/quote']

I would love to hear you theory-you can pm me.

My Dr was pretty laid back regarding post op diet... I was to slowly add solids back in after 1 week and if tolerated I was able to have a fill at my 2 week post op appt.

Speaking of post-op diets, one of the counselors at my doctor's office called me today. She calls every time I go into the next post-op diet phase. TODAY'S call was to tell me that I'm at my three month mark, and now I can have everything, except steak and pork roast. So, I'm in the clear for anything I can tolerate, but slab meat is one year out. However, I've already had lamb kebob, so I guess I've broken the last leg of my post-op tour. It was lamb filet, and I had zero issues. Chewed it up fine, went down easy.......I'm good :D