Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone,

Back in December, I went to a WLS seminar and wanted to get started right away. The Dr. I met with was hesitant to proceed with surgery because of the lack of time I had been thinking about having lap-band done.

Anyways, here is my scenario. I see that many people struggle deciding which procedure to have. My struggle is and always has been changing my attitudes, choices, and lifestyle. I've tried everything under the sun outside of surgery to lose weight. I lose it and then gain it back and then some. I'm now at 270 lbs, and 5' 7. I keep hearing everyone talk about how after having lap-band surgery you need to follow the strict guidelines from the doctor, and really change your lifestyle. This is what I WANT, so badly (to have a healthy lifestyle). I just don't have the right tools in my tool box to make it happen. If I can't change it on my own, how can I be sure I can change it after having surgery? Prior to having surgery, how did you prepare yourself mentally? After surgery, how did following through with protocol work for you?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Wishing to be healthy, again. (It's been WAY too long!)

It took me two years to figure it out cause I had a couple of people I know that had it done and I wanted to make sure that's what I wanted I also watched how it affected them in eating and mind set it's not for everybody but u REALLY have to set your mind for it since your on this site try the Lapband diet pre op for 2 weeks and see if your ready and DON'T CHEAT, then try the post op Diet it sucks both of them but before you know it , then you might have lost weight on your own and then talk to your Doctor or the lapband surgeon to see if you might be ready or ask if you might be able to see real life people that you can talk to that have had it done and their pics of before and after it might help , and I hoped this suggestion helped.

I think the fact you are aware of where you struggle is half the battle. You know what changes need to be made to be successful with the band. You know it's not a magic fix for fat- it requires permanent lifestyle changes and a new way of thinking about food. You may not feel like you have the tools to make this big change, but the truth is, your honesty with yourself and understanding of the process puts you light years ahead of most people.

I can only speak for myself on this part, but while the band can't change your brain, the changes it does make in your appetite helps tremendously. When you're hungry all the time and able to gorge on large quantities of food with reckless abandon then of course we do. But since getting the band, my hunger is almost non-existent. I can easily go 4-6 hours between small meals with no hunger. Because I'm not hungry, I'm no longer pre-occupied with food. I actually forget to eat meals sometimes! If someone had told me I'd be totally satisfied on a cup of food and forget to have meals entirely, I'd have laughed at them. I didn't think it would ever be possible- but it is.

I really think you're off to a good start on this journey. You're asking the tough questions and you're doing a lot of soul searching, not rushing in blindly so many do. Take your time and be absolutely sure before making your final decision. Perhaps even seek out a counselor to help you decide.

But on a personal level? My opinion? I actually think you'd do well with the band because you're already educating yourself and in tune with your issues.

Best wishes.

I have not had the band yet. My insurance has required me to see a nutritionist for 6mths. I have one more visit to go. It has really helped me out a lot. I know we all have struggled with food or we would not be where we are. We all have done research and we all really know what we need to do. Now we have to really do it, and you have to do it for yourself, when you are ready. Even knowing all of this, it helped to have an expert show me actual serving sizes that I held in my had, or measured out. It helped to know what foods will help out the most and which ones I should choose over the other. She gave me books and pamplets on exercise, eating when bored, what to do instead of eating, etc... If your insurance covers it, I would recommend that you see one too. Good luck with your decision. For me, I always knew I wanted the lap band because with the others, once you are cut and the stomach is gone, it's gone, lol. With the band, it can be reversed if needed.

I like the way your doctor thinks! A doctor who puts the future welfare of his client against a quick profit is the man or gal I'd want for surgeon.

Regarding your question: does your doctor or your insurance require visits a nutritionist and a psychologist? Besides health screenings (cardio, upper GI, etc.) these visits will help you and the doctor determine when you are mentally ready to face life after WLS. The surgery is only one part of life afterwards. Diet, exercise and a lifetime commitment are also needed. If we aren't mentally and physically prepared on how to live and eat after WLS, it won't work.