Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Band Not Best Choice for Christie?

Gastric banding is the easiest bariatric procedure to fit into a patient's schedule -- which may be why it was N.J. governor Chris Christie's stomach-shrinking procedure of choice, experts told MedPage Today.

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Endocrinology/Obesity/39046

let me say my dr wanted me to have the bypass due to my size and bmi

said i would have better success.....on the contrary, because i took the bull by the horns and ate as i was advised that would help me, exercised and let the band work, i have proved not only to my dr and myself and to anyone else who thinks the band doesnt work, that it does.

it has worked for me and that is what matters

people choose what they want and let the chips fall

but whatever anyone chooses, do the best you can for the best results.

in my opinion some people try to start trouble for no reason..

Who are we to guess why Governor Christie chose the Lap Band? Until he personally speaks out as to why he chose it, articles like this are completely irrelevant.

And as far as these so-called experts saying it was a poor choice because of his size and weight loss being too slow- sorry but I'm calling BS. I started with a BMI of 72. I have lost over 200 pounds in 17 months time, despite three (unrelated) surgeries and a trip to the ICU for blood clots sidetracking me. I've lost more weight and quicker than a lot of people I know who've had Gastric Bypass.

Mr. Christie needs our support, not pessimism and negative opinions.

Well said girls!

Since the news broke about Gov. Christie, I have felt nothing but anger to those who choose to judge him and his decisions. This was his personal , should have been private decision, no one elses.Where was the hippa laws and who broke them?

The media should be ashamed of their selves.

I wish he would join us here, so we can support him.

BTW, I did not even bother reading your article, like missy said "completely irrelevant"

Quoted from the article: "The ideal candidate for the band is someone who "wants to augment a change in behavior and eating habits" and who had sufficient determination and commitment to make it work, according to Todd Wilson, MD, a surgeon at the University of Texas Medical School."

I think this says a lot for those of us that chose the band. It's not the "easier" way to lose weight like the sleeve or GB. Determination and commitment to change bad eating habits!

Well since this isn't My Article but written by By Kristina Fiore, Staff Writer, MedPage Today, it's possible she seems to think banding Gov, Christie was a bad idea? But he's a "public figure" and that leaves him open to criticism from the Media. The actual video is actually PRO band :rolleyes: So maybe Dr Wilson is just Trolling for patients?

I believe that the Governor chose to disclose his WLS procedure to the public. If in fact there were HIPPA violations, the people responsible for the disclosure will be held accountable. There are strict and enforceable penalties for violating an individual's privacy rights.

Regardless, the entire discussion is moot. We all have the right to pursue our own choices with regards to what we believe to be what is right for us.

Journalistic drivel written by a non-medical person, which was intended to fill pages in order to sell advertising revenue...

I have a hard time believing anything I read on the internet! I loved the quote made by the doctor who would have "talked" him into have the sleeve! Now, that is scary, and I would avoid any doctor who prescribes surgeries without having the benefit of knowing the patient's medical history.

I didn't find the article offensive. It's too early to see if Christie has what it takes to succeed. I prefer reading and article like this than watching the YouTube video interview of Jillian Michaels that's says the lap band is " wiring your stomach shut" and that it is "barbaric"

I've spent too much time caring about others opinions before caring about mine. So pardon me if I couldn't give a damn about the article or the interview. My path! My journey! Everyone else can butt out!

If he doesn't have "what it takes to succeed," then why would any other WLS surgery be a magic potion? If a person isn't committed to lifestyle changes any surgery can be turned into a failure. I feel bad for the guy... he was persecuted for being fat, and now that he has taken a positive course of action he is being questioned as to his choice of surgeries, motives, etc.