Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone's nails doing something weird?

I forgot to take photos last night, will do tonight. I think it's looking a little better, but I thought that last time, too.

I do have an Iron deficiency, always have, always will. Had to be given liquid Iron when I was a baby, hence the buffing! ;)

Daily I take:

Multivitamin

1800mg Calcium

Biotin

3x weekly I take (when I remember):

Potassium

Co Q-10

L-Carnatine

Fish oil

I did lose a lot on Atkins, 120 in less than a year, but I'm actually losing quicker now. I hope that doesn't mean my toes will get it too. :)

As a side note, hairagain, my surgeon says hair falls out as a delayed reaction to trauma. Protein, etc. can impact it, but it's possible to be losing hair AND be getting everything you need. He says it's just something that happens to some and not others, like post-op gas.

DeLarla, do you know what about it indicated it was an infection/// what symptoms they saw, etc.?

Sorry, I remember the infection had a name, but I can't remember that far back. It caused the nail to be literally eaten away slowly. It took about a month before the whole nail was gone. But mine was only my thumb, so I assumed I picked up something creepy from a nail salon. It didn't look gross at all, just mangled till it was completely gone, then after the antibiotics it grew back.

Do you have it on all your fingers? As far as your hair, tons of mine fell out when I first got banded and continued to fall out for months. But that eventually stopped, and I'm back to a full head of thick hair.< /p>

http://www.bchealthguide.org/kbase/topic/major/hw268101/descrip.htm

Check out that site. I guess I was lucky, because the only thing that happened to me was the part that made my nail crack and become thickened and unsightly, but mine was not discolored, discharging or infected-looking: "Fungal nail infections can cause a nail to crack or thicken, become discoloured, streaked, or spotted. As a fungal infection progresses, the nail can become unsightly."

Ok, got some pics, and also found the pic I took last time this happened. It cleared up on its own last time, and once everything dried up you coudn't tell anything had happened.

1. My hand, so you can see the size of the area that's yucky

2. Good nail & bad nail, side by side

3. Another side by side

4. Last time this happened (about 2 years ago), after Fluid started appearing

Mine had white lines running through them post op for the first few months I took a nail and hair Vitamin and it seemed to work, now they are fine and have stopped taking the vitamin months ago

Wow!! I never would have know what you were talking about had I not seen those pictures!!! I had some nail problems where they had white spots on them & was told it was a deficiency in Iron. But, I have never seen anything like that!! Sorry, I don't think I am any help.

I've always heard the white spots in the nail were Calcium deposits.

It looks a little worse today, and has started getting sensitive to pressure... feels almost tingly if I push down on the nail. After I shower I'm going to try and get some neosporin down there and hope it clears up, I'm on a 6:30 flight out of state Monday morning for the entire week, so next Mon would be the soonest I could see my doc (who would say it's an irritation again) :)

I would like to know what causes the hair to fall out . I know it is fairly common in weight loss. I asked the doc and he wanted to know if I am getting enough protien. I think so because I have not really lost much wieght. About 20 lbs.

Not losing much weight is not an indication of getting enough Protein. You need to log your Protein intake or drink Isopure or some other Protein Drink. You'll never know if you're losing hair due to lack of protein unless you log your protein or supplement. Remember, you need at least 60g of protein per day. I take in more, just to be sure.